Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting and driving a P Channel MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macka

Hi,

I'm wanting to drive some LEDs in an 8x32 LED matrix. The LED characteristics are:
If = 20mA
Vf = 3.4V
Vcc = 5V

I'm planning to arrange the LEDs in common anode configuration and will drive the low side with TPIC6B595Ns (high current 8-bit shift register). If a full row was ever on, it'd pull a current of 640mA.

My understanding is that if I use a logic level P channel MOSFET, I need to pull the gate low to activate it.

I was thinking I could use one of the TPIC6B595Ns (since I need a shift register anyway) to drive the gate. eg putting a 1 into the the LSB of a TPIC6B595N would pull the output low and hence turn on the MOSFET.

I've looked around on the AU element14 website and I selected a IRFD9120PBF MOSFET, because it has a Gate-Source threshold voltage of -4V (max) and a continuous current rating of 1A.

So, my questions are:

1) Can I drive the MOSFET like this?
2) Will this MOSFET do the job? - If not, why? and how do I go about selecting the correct MOSFET for the job?

Thanks

Last edited:
Since the shift reg is open-drain, there is no pull-up, so you will have to add one.

ok, so other than the need for a pull up, say 1kΩ, everything checks out?

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back