Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting an scr controller for very small electric heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finestein

Hello everyone/anyone, this is my first post so bear with me.

I am trying to closely control the temperature of air moving slowly and continuously through a duct (~30cfm). I would like to use a very small (250-350W, 120v) finned electric heater to heat this air. I figured a phase angle fired SCR power controller would do the job the best. (I really would like the best control I can get.) I have a temperature controller already with analog outputs, but now I'm looking around for an SCR power controller that could handle this heater. I'm worried because it's such a low power application, the heating element may only be drawing 1A, and the smallest SCR power controllers I can find are rated for 15A.

Would it be a bad idea to use an over-sized SCR power controller (rated for say 15A) on a heating element that will only be drawing around 1A? Are there negative effects (worse temperature control?) for using an over-sized SCR power controller for this application? Or is there somewhere I can get a phase angle SCR power controller that's rated better for this smaller application?

Thank you very much.

Can one buy a light dimmer that can be controlled by a 0-20mA or 0-10Vdc analog output signal from a proportional temperature controller?

Googling "voltage-controlled light dimmer" gives many hits which may be useful, particularly if you want to go the DIY route.

Okay Thank you. I am a beginner to electronics, so hopefully I will be able to find some prefabricated voltage-controlled light dimmer. But I suppose I can learn if there aren't any out there.

In N.A. these are plentiful at most H.W. stores.
For more info on DIY control solutions see the Fairchild AN-3006.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back