Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting a suitable mosfet for this IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I would like to choose a suitable P Mosfet for power switching for that IC
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/01/4412hvfs.pdf
This IC is just an ORing for two power supplies to select the best between two batteries.

The one that is in the typical application can just stand VDS 12V, and current 2A. its datasheet is here :https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/01/FDN306P.pdf
I would like to have a VDS of 40, and 7A at least. I have googled around but I'm worried that there are other factors that I should take off.
also how much is the resistor that is needed for the required parameters, actually the datasheet of that IC is useless.

Last edited:
... but I'm worried that there are other factors that I should take off.
also how much is the resistor that is needed for the required parameters, actually the datasheet of that IC is useless.

No, that data sheet explains how that device works very well. If there is a problem, it is in your understanding. The data sheet also specifies that the chip shouldn't be used at over 36V, so why are you trying to use it at 40V?

Pretty much any MOSFET will do. If you are switching, say, a 20V power source with a load current of 5A, you need a FET with a VDS of greater than 20V (I would pick a minimum of 30V to be on the safe side) and an IDS of at least 5A (a 10A FET should be well good enough).

The chip pulls the FET gate to 0V, so the FET needs to have a VGS threshold of Vin (min) (20V in the case above). RDSON should not matter. They are all low these days.

YOu are not switching at speed so other factors such as input capacitance and QG should not matter.

The datasheet is extremely well written, as are all LTC datasheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back