Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

selct wattge of an inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

maicael

if i have a 1000W inverter in a push pull mode where one side conducts alternately with 4 FETs on both sides each,can i design the inverter in a way that makes me selct the output watgge depending on how much load i want to power at that moment by say cutting off 2 FETS on both sides so that total power output is reduced by half to say 500w at that moment and i can return it to 1000W again if i wnat to..is this possible.
am an novice so please be easy on me just a thought

A 1000w inverter isnt something for a novice, however yes that could be possible if you had an inductor with 2 primarys, or 2 seperate inductors feeding the same dc bus, a mate has just such a thing on his boat, but I think both inductors run all the time, there isnt really a major energy saving in switching them in and out.

The load on an inverter determines how much is the output power, not the quantity of Mosfets that are turning on and off.
There must be enough Mosfets to be able to drive the maximum power.

The power delivered by the inverter is determined by the output load, not the inverter maximum rating (as long as the load is less than the rating). If you have a 400W load then it makes little difference whether the inverter is capable of delivering 500W or 1000W. There's no good reason to be able to change the maximum output rating of an inverter. That's why it isn't done.

maicael

I don't fully understand why you want to switch output mosfets in/out of the circuit, other than perhaps to minimize idle current? If that's the reason, I wouldn't bother doing so because most modern power inverter circuit designs are already operating at very high efficiency, often beyond 90%. Idle current for a good quality 1kw inverter is only in the tens of milliamps - that's quite acceptable to most users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back