Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seemingly Simple AC Phase Shifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailzPhyre

Good Day!

I am looking to desing a product that would allow me to vary the Phase of an AC Signal. Currently, the equipment I use is sensitive to the Sine wave input phase provided. I can reverse the Neutral and Hot to reverse the Phase 180 Degrees, but I also have situations where I need to adjust it on the fly or anywhere between 0-180 degrees. I've googled some results and it looks like I can create a circuit that just needs a Capacitor, Resistor and an Inductor, the values would affect how much I offset the phase.

Please advise if I am on the right road, and possibly even some values of components that I can use to create this. Also which component could I change to make it a variable phase shift?

Best Regards,

What power level does this circuit need to provide?

a product that would allow me to vary the Phase of an AC Signal.
I need to adjust it on the fly or anywhere between 0-180 degrees.
I can create a circuit that just needs a Capacitor, Resistor and an Inductor, the values would affect how much I offset the phase.
I tried this once, on paper, for house current.
The output source impedance of this type of phase-shifter is very high so it can't deliver much power. Also, as the component values are changed to change the phase, so is the output amplitude.

One way around this is to digitize the waveform to whatever accuracy you need and shift it digitally. Very elegant!

Also, I guess you could feed the field coil of an AC generator with AC phase-shifted excitation. I'd guess the output should then shift in phase.

Last edited:
The Current requirement is probably a range of 2A to 5A at 120VAC. I saw on a page I could use an alternator to at least separate this into a three phase system that depending on which leg I was on, I could shift from 0-120-240-360 degrees. So that in turn would allow me to play with different phases at that, correct?

Also, if that solution works, I could then invert an additional 180 degrees by inverting the hot and neutral, hold on... Am I gonna die?

Thanks so far for the help!

I could shift from 0-120-240-360 degrees.
that in turn would allow me to play with different phases
Am I gonna die?

I'm thinking, add the 0° sine wave to the 120° sine wave.

http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html
Scoll down to sin U + sin V and see if it will work.

You still need to find a way to add these signals and present zero output impedance to the downstream circuitry.

I assume you will die. . .for me, half the males in the U.S. my age will die within 22 years.

You could connect a synchronous motor to an alternator and and change the rotational position of the motor shaft with respect to the generator shaft such as with https://www.harmonicdrive.net/products/gearheads/hdi/. The problem is, you have to stop the motor to make the adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back