Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seem tension guage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
While replacing the cambelt on my car at the weekend I noticed yet again a quote for tension in 'seems', this is something that is a recent development, till now I've used nM as a tension setting.

Doing a little research I've found its difficult to convert from seem to anything else, turns out that seem is not a measure of tension, its a frequency, the seem guage somehow 'strums' the belt or makes it resonate, rather like a e-bow sustain device for a guitar, so its resonant freq can be measured.

These things are ridiculously expensive and I was wondering about the possibility of building one, excitation could be from a low freq impulse or maybe like a sustain device a pickup and a transducer with a lot of gian inbetween, making an oscillator with the belt being the resonant section.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I've heard the joke 'seems tight enough' before.

If you know what frequency they want, you could record that note from a piano. Then pluck and adjust your belt to match.

Getting my car in the hallway would be tricky!

Plucking is a good idea though, I could record that to mp3 and replay it in the lab, I know the most common tension 45 seem units is 250nM, so I can prove that this way.

It would be a simple circuit to interface to a frequency counter just by plucking the belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back