Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seeking suggestions for wireless (or house wire) control options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I'm a finalist in the smarter life challenge, a contest by Element14/Newark. I'm going to need some distributed control, but since there are only a few weeks left it has to be something quick and effective. I have a budget with the contest of $400 remaining to spend on Newark.com.

I'm looking for suggestions for microcontroller and wireless devices. I don't need a really fast update. There would be 4 satellite stations communicating with a main controller which would be running on a PSoC 4 pioneer board. I'm considering thinks like an Xbee, a data-over-home-wiring system, or a simple wireless bridge device.

here's my specs in detail:
  • Range of about 30 ft, through 1 interior wall (hollow drywall with stamped steel studs)
  • 4 satellite stations, powered from a wall adapter
  • Satellites will receive 1 bit on/off control command
  • Satellites will return 2 12 bit value readings from 0-5v output sensors
  • Update rate may be as low as 1 per 15 seconds
  • Each station with radio and controller should be under $65
  • Base station communication should be under $65
  • Parts must be available on Newark.com
  • Given that I am experienced with C for PIC and Atmel, and PsoC creator, it should be something I can implement in a few days of work. I know this is subjective, but I just mean that if it's something where I have to code my own protocol control and build a transceiver from scratch, it's probably not going to happen.
Give me any idea for a part or kit you've used and found easy to implement. There are a ton of wireless devices for micro controllers on here but few have reviews and I don't want to end up with something finicky that will take me 6 weeks to use. What have you had luck with?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back