Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seeking design input

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborgrapefruit

I am a complete novice when it comes to electronics. I can solder and I have a solid science background, but that's about it. That being said, I was hoping you fine folks would lend me some direction regarding a project:

I would like to design a small, standalone, battery-free device which provides a visual feedback of how much solar irradiance it has received that day.

I'm envisioning the "display" as a small strip of paper mounted on a wheel (or slider) facing upwards. So the total distance travelled between a reference point on the wheel and the reading point should be exactly proportional to the total solar irradiance recieved that day (using the measurement of any given wavelength as a proxy), though precision is not terribly important (+/- 10%).

I was initially thinking of using a small PV cell for power, a photoresistor as measurement device, and a piezoelectric motor as the actuator. Now are the questions:

- Are there any other options for the motor? The amount of mechanical work involved is tiny; surely there is a better-suited device for this? DC motors are cheap but also seem like overkill; plus I'd prefer to not have to have any gearing.

- Is it possible to use a small PV cell to power these electronics without a bunch of control/regulation components? I really would prefer to use no battery in this device.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back