Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seat Ibiza 1.2 TDI E-ecomotive (2012 Model) - back camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAcKeZ

Actually it's a big story but I'll try to keep it as short as possible. I have a car as the tittle suggest and I've replaced my stock radio unit with an android radio unit(7" touch screen and many details which don't matter right now).

What I'm trying to do:

- Connect a camera so when I put reverse it will show me the back of my car

Show stoppers:

- Bad voltage signal? (my wild guess)

-------------------------

So I've connect firstly the back camera(I replace the license light housing with a housing which has a bulb compartment and a camera in one housing)

Then I've put a wireless kit 2.4GHz to transmit the signal from the camera to the receiver that will fit behind the radio, seems easy? well now we have issues, firstly without the engine on I had image and from time to time I had some interference ..it might be a wifi, a microwave ...anything right? but when I turn on the engine after 3-4 seconds my engine does a specific buzz, when this "buzz" is in place "signal-lost" and I get no image.

So what did I do? ..heck I thought lets wire it! ..so I've ditch the wireless kit and put RCA cable to be absolutely sure I won't get any "wireless noise", did it and discover the EXACT same thing.. when engine off signal is stable(most of the times with a little of interference but less than what on the wireless kit and when I turn on the engine after the classic 3-4 secs when the buzz starts ..."no signal"

I'm really pissed to a point that I'm about to beat someone with no reason(kidding, but I was really pissed). So I did the following, I've put a circuit that I've created in the past for a different project (a 12v voltage regulator with some capacitors) ...it made absolutely no difference - Although my car of has 12.27v when engine is off(measured on cigarette light) and 14.50v when engine is on(cigarette light again), with the 12v voltage regulator it's 11.37v when engine off and 12.00v when engine on

I'm desperate on what to do, I tried putting external battery(a 12v 7Ah UPS battery) and works as expected ..isolated from the car, no issues at all. Also I do have a small subwoofer under passengers seat that has an issue too I hear the turbo from it! (if I have it 100% volume I can hear the turbo!! ..I mean some might like it but I've put a small one to enjoy a little bass in the passengers cabin not to hear the turbo <-- I believe this is for the same reason as I've tried with a battery and a power supply and has no issues ..although the sub works as expected when engine is off)

---------------------

What do you suggest is there a way to solve this thing, it's driving me crazy!! ..another idea if you are not so advanced in this, you can tell me a way so I'll put an SLA 12v 5Ah battery in the trunk(some relay thing) and when I put reverse the camera will get power from that battery(but not all the time, because the battery will need to be charged when it's dipleted)

--- Do mind that when I put reverse the android radio chances to video mode and there isn't any way to disable that, so it's either "no signal" ...or I get a picture(if you help me and this actually works). Also for the back camera I get power from the reverse light(no wires has been cut, I've created an adapter by buying a male/female back light connector and connect the wires as suppose to be but from my custom connector I draw the wires :D ).

Please DO help me!! ..my electric/electronic knowledge is limited I'm an amateur :D sorry for the long post

I have used a 2.5G camera transmitter on the back of my caravan to a receiver in my vehicle. One problem with these is they are line of sight for the transmitter to receiver, any metal shielding (receiver in the dash) will cause problems with it. I also have a camera on the rear of my vehicle, but I use a shielded cable run up to the display using composite video (not wireless) this is a mutch more reliable way of doing it, & the cameras are realy cheap.

Yes but if you read my full post I did put a cable and have issues, it's not the wireless transmitter but the "power quality" ..trying to figure out a way of getting cleaner power ....or at least a relay so when I put reverse it will "turn on the switch" and get power from a different power source(e.g. an SLA 12v battery)

Have you tried a 12v filter back at the camera, & perhaps ground the power lead near the camera.

Have you tried a 12v filter back at the camera, & perhaps ground the power lead near the camera.

12v filter and ground the power lead? ..want to analyze further?

I did tried a voltage regulator to have stable voltage but this didn't fix anything(wrote that in 1st post), also about ground the power? I'm not sure if I get what you mean :D

EDIT: I also saw this:

---
The problem you have is with power supply decoupling. Cars are very noisy environments electrically speaking and you need to isolate the rails.
**broken link removed**
---

So if I decouple the voltage going to the camera I might fix this(still in the search and I'd like someones opinion who know what he's talking about.. I'm just doing wild guesses)

EDIT2: The more I read about 12v filter the more I believe this would fix my issue, anyone care to confirm?

Last edited:
I think debe is on the right track. I think the problem is noise between two different ground points. Do the following test. Power the camera from your SLA battery and confirm you do not get the problem. Then connect a wire from the ground point that you had used for the camera to the negative of SLA battery. If this causes the problem to return then run the power and ground wire for the camera along the same route as the video cable and pick up the power from the same place a the display unit.

Les.

I think debe is on the right track. I think the problem is noise between two different ground points. Do the following test. Power the camera from your SLA battery and confirm you do not get the problem. Then connect a wire from the ground point that you had used for the camera to the negative of SLA battery. If this causes the problem to return then run the power and ground wire for the camera along the same route as the video cable and pick up the power from the same place a the display unit.

Les.

Did anyone read my first post?:p I connected the camera with the SLA battery and connected an RCA wire(no wireless), no issues at all!

Camera has two connectors, one RCA for signal and one power connector to get the power. If the power source is the car battery(from reverse light) I have issues, video signal has noise and when engine is on "no signal" thats what I get, if it is the SLA battery no issues (wired connections on both, I ditched the wireless kit just to be sure and went the long road of installing from the radio unit to the back)

I believe it's noise in the 12v power line so I bought a 12v filter(hopefully it will solve this), we will see.. China sellers do tend to be slow so if you have any different thoughts about this, please share :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back