Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Searching for True Class 1 Bluetooth Dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dch222

I bought a Sony SRS-BTM8 portable loudspeaker with Bluetooth communication so I could listen to stuff on my PC from anywhere in the house, and possibly in the garden.
However, both of the "Class 1" USB dongle types I have bought for the PC have failed to transmit more than about 5metres in clear line-of-sight both indoors and outdoors, which puts them firmly into the Class 2 category. They won't even reach to the next room.
I live in a single house in a rural area so there should be no other interference.
Does anyone know of a dongle with genuine Class 1 capabilities?
I accept that 100m is an absolute maximum, rarely achieved, but just 20m would be nice.

hi Pommie,
long time since....
i too had one Samsung HN1100 model . the OP is correct, mine too very short , say 4m and only LOS range. could be class 2. . however class1 is expected to give 300ft. LOS could be behavior of the frequency 2.4GHz under use.

Last edited:
"Are the speakers class 1?"

Good point Pommie.

No the speaker is class 2 but I assumed that it would only need to communicate back to the dongle during the initial pairing phase, and that thereafter it would be one way comms from dongle to speaker, so I could walk away from the dongle.

If this is not the case, then that could be the answer.

With every packet sent the receiver has to acknowledge or it gets resent. So both need to be class 1.

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

Guess I should have learnt a bit more about Bluetooth before buying the speaker.
Back to Ebay to look for a Class 1 speaker then.
I should have guessed really as most other protocols use some sort of handshaking, so why not Bluetooth?

Dave

If they didn't handshake then they don't know when the receiver is out of range.

Hi Sarma.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back