Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Searching for Latching Solenoid in EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

plouf

Hello

i am looking for latching type solenoid with relative big "moving object" (dont know how its called the stick that moves)

i would like diameter of this to be at least 1cm , and preferable from a seller in European Union, 12volt coil is the ideal but smaller rated are good too

i have found 66-120-610-620 in farnell but it has small "moving object"

thanks in advance

Another thing to consider is the small solenoids that are used to switch points on model railways. The second one on this page should manage.

Mike.

thanx for reply firstly

@ericgibbs your first suggestion is the exact model i said wich i believe is has small diameter plunger (7mm)
second one has the same diameter plunger too..

@Pommie i cant see the plunger there, neitehr it looks like latching (is it ?)

ps. this one look better but cant find a european reseller 4L-C-12D (buying from usa will cost at least double)

@Pommie i cant see the plunger there, neitehr it looks like latching (is it ?)

I assumed they were but could be wrong as it maybe the points that latch. Do you have a local model shop where you could ask?

Mike.

i have finaly get a few from farnell (even small) but i can t get them work.

i apply 12 volt in cables nothing moves , i aply reversed current nothing again.
power consumption is according to datasheets 200+mA

Can you post a link to the datasheet?

The datasheet in the first link says
Single coil construction. Apply +ve on Red to operate and -ve on Red to release. An External force is required to retract the plunger to the open position.
That is a latching action. The coil only needs a brief pulse to pull the plunger in (against the external force) or release (so that the external force can pull the plunger back out).

but shouldn't ,after the pulse aplied and the plunger returned to inner position a force strong enough hold it ?

what i mean is that if is holded with a force of 100gram (for example) without applying any power to coil, when applying negaltive polarity this force must SIGNIFICANT reduced ? ,
as i see it applying no voltage ,or reversed voltage the power is equal.

therefore a spring will pull out plunger without applying any voltage ?

after the pulse aplied and the plunger returned to inner position a force strong enough hold it?
If + voltage is applied briefly to the Red terminal the plunger pulls in. A permanent magnet holds the plunger in with a force of 0.4kg (IIRC).
as i see it applying no voltage ,or reversed voltage the power is equal.
No, it isn't. If - voltage is applied briefly to the Red terminal the coil produces a significant force opposing the permanent magnetic force, so the plunger is no longer held strongly and a spring (or whatever) can then pull the plunger out with a force much less than 0.4kg.

here i created a video showing how it is work , i dont think that with negative voltage has ANY difference in magnet power compared to when NOT APLYING voltage AT ALL

https://youtu.be/gc7G8Jlxco4

Apologies for butting in here, but after reading through this topic and now watching your video, I notice that you are making conclusions based on using a fixed dc battery supply
.......doesn't the datasheet in the first few lines state "pulsed dc" ?
.......just my 10p's worth of observation

hope this helps,
Rotarymaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back