Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sealed lead acid battery chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

I'm planning to buy chargers for two types of sealed lead acid
batteries: one for a 12V, 4Ah battery, another one for a 12V, 1.5Ah
battery. I'm planning to buy from Mouser Electronics. From their
catalog shown in https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/01/1852.pdf , I'm not
sure about the criteria in which I should be choosing between each
charger. Does anyone know if I should be picking a 0.5 A for the 1.5Ah battery and 0.8A for the 4Ah battery?

sealed lead acid batteries

Hi,

you might use the 0.5A type for both of your batteries. If they switch off automatically if full charge voltage is reached there shouln't be any problem.

If the charger doesn't have the control circuit you should be careful not to overcharge the batteries by measuring the battery voltage from time to time.

Normal charge is best at 1/10 of the battery capacity. In your case it will be fast charge for both of the batteries.

Hans

SLA batteries are pretty tolerant. I see that the Powersonic battery charger selection guide for their battery line calls for at least 0.1C charge rate and at most about 0.3C. So, for example, they suggest the 300mA model for a 1.5 AH battery and the 500mA model for a 4 AH battery. You might be fine using the 500mA model for both.

By the way, you might want to check with Polar Battery on Boundary Road to see if they can supply those powersonic chargers. They've given me good service before.

Just got it from Polar Batteries. They do provide a very friendly service and they seem to know lots too.

I've managed to charge a 12V 4Ah battery (removed from an alarm system) in half an hour with the 500 mA battery charger. It appears that something isn't right with the battery. Could that be signs to replace that battery?

ssylee said:
I've managed to charge a 12V 4Ah battery (removed from an alarm system) in half an hour with the 500 mA battery charger. It appears that something isn't right with the battery. Could that be signs to replace that battery?

The only way to tell for sure is to do a controlled discharge test, where you load the battery with a known current drain and see how long it lasts. It could be worn out, or it might simply have been partially charged already when you started your charge.

I removed this battery from the home alarm unit that's at least 16 or 17 years old, although I'm not sure if that helps in determining whether I need a new battery.

Holy smokes, if that is the original back up battery for that system (doubtful) then for goodness sake give it a decent burial as it has served long beyond its time! I have to replace my security backups every three years. Well, to be honest, they are in a very warm environment, and heat is the enemy of lead acid batteries. Maybe you need to go back to Solar and get another battery.

Last edited:
Lee's Electronics is nearby my house, so I'll get it there then. I wonder if there's any easy way of disposing the battery other than disposing it at the university.

Contact your hazmat disposal facility. Google Vancouver BC Hazmat Collection, or call:

Greater Vancouver Regional District
4330 Kingsway, Burnaby V5H 4G8
Tel: (604) 436-6700

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back