Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SD memory help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldermalagon

Here I´m again.

I have to include a 1Gb buffer in my project to have a kind of "embedded database". The question is. Have any one of you used a SD memory with a microcontroller?

I´ve read that this type of memories have two comunicatión interface the SD interface and SPI interface. But I´ve also read that it needs some kind of initialization, now, Do anyone of you know this inicialization?

A couple of great programmers made some SF libraries that sound like they would do the job your looking at;

SDFileSystem Version 4.1.4 - The latest version of the SDFileSystem module. Now includes support for multiple files, copying and truncating files, SDHC high capacity cards and FAT32 as well as FAT16. Format command also added to format a card from scratch.

Database - A simple module to implement reading and writing records from/to a SD or MMC card, using the SDFileSystem Module.

Those links that Gramo gave you are excellent, if you are interested in what is involved with the initialisation sequence you could take a look at the specification.

**broken link removed**

Regards

Mark

A couple of great programmers made some SF libraries that sound like they would do the job your looking at;

SDFileSystem Version 4.1.4 - The latest version of the SDFileSystem module. Now includes support for multiple files, copying and truncating files, SDHC high capacity cards and FAT32 as well as FAT16. Format command also added to format a card from scratch.

Database - A simple module to implement reading and writing records from/to a SD or MMC card, using the SDFileSystem Module.
Hi thanks for helping.
But I don´t like to use other´s work, I´d like to make my own libraries for PIC to include in my projects, that's why I only need help with somebody who have has success with SD and with the purpose to guide me if the thing doesn't work, because if it doesn't work I wouldn't know why and we all know that things doesn't work at the first attempt, is always something to "tune up" in order to make it work fine,

Thanks any ways, the info is useful to me too

I think writing your own SD access libraries is a great way of learning (writing a file system is another!).

I am talking comparitively here, but SPI is a LOT slower than using the SD protocol - but still faster than I2C. Providing you don't need those bytes in a hurry you should be ok.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back