Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SCR Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2N3906 is a silicon PNP transistor, not a SCR (silicon controlled rectifier). Very different critters.

Your informant doesn't seem to be very reliable.

My apologies The number he gave me was 2N3096 not 2N3906...

I found these **broken link removed** But I don't need 500...

Last edited:

Let me first state I am NOT going to use this as a detonator of any sorts...

Well, your avatar doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies in that regard...;)

My apologies The number he gave me was 2N3096 not 2N3906...

I found these **broken link removed** But I don't need 500...

Well, you don't need to buy 500; that's how many they have on hand. They're $55 each. That's one big mother of a semiconductor.

Try looking at a real electronics place. Here it is from Newark, for only $41.

What exactly does that thing do, anyhow? (Not about to watch the video; I've got a slow-speed connection.) By the way, I've got nothing against creative destruction myself. Just try not to destroy yourself in the process.

The guy in the video really knows his stuff......Stuff All....that is!

The component you are asking about is Not a SCR and it is Not a PnP transistor as he has implied to you, it is simply a NpN transistor and just about any NpN transistor will do the job.

BC-547, BC-548, BC-549, BC-337, PN-100, just to name a few common garden varieties.

Just use what ever you have in your junk box.

The 10 ohm resistor to ignite the match is a over kill, and a thin single strand of wire will do the same job, or my favorite when i made these things as a kid was to use steel wool fluffed out a little, if you add a little gunpowder around the steel wool it will erupt in flames fast.

Well, since the O.P. is in the U.S., common NPN transistors will be 2N2222, 2N3904, 2N4401, etc., instead of those Euro-transistors.

You are in Texas. You can buy a pile of 2N2222 transistors at Radio Shack for a few bucks.

Ron

I dont have to give the part number, remember that. And SAborn it very much is a SCR.

Remainder of text deleted by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
If raptorrochester chooses not to share the small SCR part number that is his business. Personally I can't see why someone would make a nice video and not mention the part number of the main part but whatever.

What is more important is why a transistor won't work and why a SCR is needed. However even before that the first SCR part number mentioned, the 2N3096 is a pretty large stud mount 100 amp RMS SCR . Rather large and bulky choice this SCR is. :)

If we note the author of the video gets his trigger signal from the timer's small piezo transducer / speaker. Remember the beep, beep, beep? That beep, beep, beep will do no more than pulse a transistor. While I am not a pyro technician I doubt that would easily ignite a fuse. Thus the SCR becomes the logical choice since we want to turn it on and have it stay on. The first beep is all it needs.

So something like a small TO 92 case SCR that has a sensitive gate and can handle a current of about maybe an amp. Maybe something like this? Anyway, along those lines, the link being just an example of a sensitive gate SCR.

Now if raptorrochester wants to help the original poster he can simply send the part number to the original poster using a PM. Then it can remain forever a secret.

Ron

Last edited:
OK, no big deal. Thanks for the input. Your video and your part number, cool with me. I just figured you may want to share it with the OP as they had nothing to do with slamming you.

Ron

Look, personally I don't want the part number so matters not to me if you choose to treat it like a Holy Grail. I just thought it would have been a nice gesture if you shared it with the OP since he wasn't the one who slammed you. Neither the OP or myself had anything to say about you that was in any way offensive or bad. Your part and your little secret, cool with me.

Ron

......Ok......If I offended raptorrochester I apologize...Just trying to figure out which SCR to use...

I'll figure it out by myself...If you don't want to share the part number that's fine with me...

Reloadron Thanks for giving me a general idea of what to look for...

Racer53

Racer 53 if you can provide any information on the electrically activated fuses it would be cool. I doubt they require much current so choosing an SCR should not be that difficult. I do think things work based on what I posted earlier. Thinking about that damn beep, beep beep is what got me to thinking a SCR and why.

Ron

You sure as hell don't need a 70 amp, 1.1 KV SCR to ignite what you want to ignite. That's ridiculous!

Let the guy jealously guard his "secret" like it was some kind of valuable information or something. This can easily be figured out by someone who knows electronics.

Its no secret. Your right, its easily figured out. But this kid sent emails that were rude. Why on earth would I share it with him. Your all so quick to judge here. "Let him guard his precious secret." How foolish to say without knowing the whole story. Its really SAborn that knows nothing. It very much is a SCR. Now by telling this kid to use a NPN transistor this kid is going to try it and it WONT work and might get hurt. Great job SAborn. I ask the moderator on here to lock this thread and remove the links of my videos.

OK, if that is what you wish. I had no idea the OP had emailed you. Had I known that my replies would have differed. Anyway, have yourself a good day.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back