Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SCR power controller firing circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred_alex

good day

i need help with my project.

im designing an electrical water heater which is rated at around 14kw. ive been thinking of controlling the power by using scr. the thing is i want the heater to be able to regulate the power depending to the temperature of the water (by using thermistor or thermocouples).

my problem is im having trouble designing the firing circuit. i need to get a clue how to design this firing circuit.

the voltage source is 240v,50Hz, current draw will be 60A and the heating resistance is around 4ohm.

thanks,i appreciate any help that i could get.

Attachments

• scr_control (1).pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 441
Why on earth would you want a proportional mode water heater? Do you need to keep the temperature within 2 degrees of optimum?

well the design of my heater is rated to raise 35 degrees of water temperature. so if the incoming water is warmer,than i want the scr to regulate the power so that less power is used to heat the already warm water. is there any other method to do this if scr is overkill?

First, you might use less power in the time you are heating the warmer water, but the sum of power and time will end up just the same as if you blasted away with all the watts you have. There is no efficiency advantage to heating water gently.

When you add the price of designing and building a proportional mode controller and subtract the nothing that you gain, there is no profit in doing this...not monetary profit, not ecological profit. Does that clear things up?

If you are just studying controllers, put up a question in "chat".
If you are going to build this anyway, someone smarter than I am will be along to help you shortly.

As bychon stated, there's no significant advantage to heating water slowly with an electric water heater, except for slightly less resistive loss in the power line wires. The watts being used will be less, but you will use them for a longer time so the watt-hours required is the same (which is what you pay for).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back