Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

scope measurement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy257

hi all,

Can someone clarify if using a scope to measure the voltage across a resistor (e.g shunt resistor) is perfectly fine with a DC supplied circuit? If memory serves me correct it is AC supplied circuit where you have to be careful not to creat a SC due to common grounds.

If someone can clarify this for me, its been some time since i dabbled with a scope.

Thanks

The concern is measuring AC mains voltage which is not isolated from ground. If you hook the ground clip of a grounded scope to one of the AC lines you can create a short-circuit with catastrophic results.

Measuring other types of AC circuit voltages (such as from a normal transformer) that are isolated from the main's ground is ok. Also the measurement of any DC voltages is normally no problem since the DC usually comes from a supply isolated from the AC mains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back