Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Science Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeMags

Hi my son is in the 4th grade and it is science fair time. He has his heart set on doing a project based off of the scene in the Sorcerers Apprentice movie with the audio modulated Tesla coils. Is there a simpler / safer way to create the same electrical effect with batteries. I also have an old computer supply that he could use. Any help would be appreciated.

While I don't know of anything battery powered and safe along those lines possible it could be really scaled down to an audio modulated LED? Maybe something along the lines of a low voltage (12 volts) color organ scheme. A few transistors, a cheap microphone and a color organ where if he whistled and changed frequency of his whistling the lamps would light differently. Simple circuit with incandescent bulbs could be built. Somewhat interesting, battery powered and safe for the average 9-10 year old.

Just My Take
Ron

That's what I suggested to him but he wants to show that the spark can really make music like in the movie. He is not the average 9 year old and when he gets his mind set on something...lets just say I would rather not find out he took apart the central air to build a Tesla coil in the yard.

Hey, its your call if you think playing with 20,000 volts or greater is safe or not.

I did do a similar thing years ago using the fly-back transformer from an very early TV set (the later model sets dont work well).

I did manage to Zap myself while fiddling with it and i now know why the are called a Fly-back transformer. :eek:

As far as i am concerned it is not a project for a novice, and would think it would be well outside an above average 9 year olds ability to construct and trouble shoot this project on a safe level.

If nothing else he will soon develop a healthy respect for electrical energy. (the hard way)

Pete.

just an idea......... would a vandergraph generator do the same thing? we used to play with theese at school (many moons ago) they produce nice sparks and are safe

That's what I suggested to him but he wants to show that the spark can really make music like in the movie. He is not the average 9 year old and when he gets his mind set on something...lets just say I would rather not find out he took apart the central air to build a Tesla coil in the yard.

Then all things considered, if he is not amused with a color organ, and you are comfortable with it, he can modulate a small TC of sorts. He can find an older television flyback and start figuring out how to modulate a drive for it as SABorn mentions. Just a smaller version than in the movie.

Ron

A tesla coil is a very advanced project that really should only be attempted by experienced people, as the voltages and currents used can be very deadly. An audio-modulated tesla coil must be solid-state type, which requires extensive circuit-building and a lot of money. Instead of using an actual tesla coil, as in the movie, perhaps you could simply make an audio-modulated flyback coil? These produce high voltage arcs, but they do not usually produce deadly currents.
Here's an example that you may want to try. Just make sure your son is constantly supervised when working with high voltages. If he does get a shock, even if the arc doesn't kill, it can still startle. Yanking a hand away could cause him to hit something, which may hurt him. I cannot stress enough how important it is to be cautious and alert at ALL TIMES when working with high voltage.
Anyway, enough of the negativity!
I wish you and your son the best of luck with this project! Could you post a video here when you finish the project? I'm interested to see what you come up with!
Regards,
Der Strom

Last edited:
I actually found the plasma speakers after I wrote this and it is safer idea. As for him he is 10 and not the average 10 year old. He has had a "nasty" habit of taking things apart to see how they work since he was about 2 to include a broken TV when he was 5. He is on the autism spectrum (PDD / Asperger syndrome ) so it's almost like a need to do not a want. That being said he only needs to see it work and explain how it works so I will most likely be doing the actual working with the live electricity while he observes and takes notes.
I do appreciate all the suggestions so far and have found a few good possibilities.

And if I do get something to work I will gladly post it for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back