Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schottky freewheel diode

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the current that flows through the relay coil will continue to flow through the coil for a short while after it is de-energized. You must certain that the diode can handle that current. If it's a garden variety little relay, a 1amp 5817 will probably work fine current-wise.
With a Vf of about 2 volts, the relay will be relatively slow to de-energize. Higher Vf diodes are quicker. My older Jag had 47v zeners across its fuel injectors to get them to close fast enough.

"With a Vf of about 2 volts, the relay will be relatively slow to de-energize. Higher Vf diodes are quicker. My older Jag had 47v zeners across its fuel injectors to get them to close fast enough."
That's an interesting statement to think about.
kinarfi

I don't think you need to take any notice of anything Jaguar did. We had a Jag and it was one of the most fault-prone cars you can come across.
SU carburettors, hardened steel half-shafts that twisted off, electric fuel pumps that failed etc etc etc

That's because all the electrics were designed by Lucas, also known as The Prince of Darkness..... rumor has it he owned stock in a fuse company.

Ooops! Vf is indeed 0.2v, not 2 as I stated.

1st Jag I had took me years to sort out. Poor grounding, brittle wiring, radiator 1/4 full of Barr's Leak, etc. When it ran well though, it was great. It was OK at 70 mph, nice at 100 mph and outstanding at 150.

Why do Englishmen like warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators.

I don't think you need to take any notice of anything Jaguar did. We had a Jag and it was one of the most fault-prone cars you can come across.
SU carburettors, hardened steel half-shafts that twisted off, electric fuel pumps that failed etc etc etc

The 87 was, as you say, very problematic, however, when it's V12 was running, there was nothing like it. You could balance a nickle on one of its manifolds, or cruise at 156mph. The faster it went the better it ran. City driving killed it but "Italian tuneups" helped a lot.

Anyhow, back on point- The Jag's ECU was a Bosch design. In 15 years I don't recall more than 3 failures or so. This article explains a bit about some of the engine systems, including the EFI and the 47V Zener:

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/lucas_efi.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back