Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schottky diode as rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrum

hello all,

i was doing some basic tests with a schottky diode, without succes, so finally i've decided to ask for some help, since i'm sure missing something important about the theory.

I have put up a circuitry like in the picture attahced

circuit-jpg.16375

I would try to rectify the reduced 125 Khz signal. Due to the 125 Khz frequency, i've decide to use a schottky diode (don't know if the choice is appropriate), so i was expecting to see in his cathode a only-positive pulsed half-wave. Instade i continue to see by oscilloscope a complete sinusoidal wave.

if any help,
many thanks, angelo

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 845
What kind of diode are you using? Diode capacitance can cause this. If you are using a high-current diode (high capacitance), then you need a low-value resistor as a load. You apparently are using an oscilloscope. The input resistance is much too high.

Yes, the input resistance of the scope is very high, like more than 1 Mohm. You need to load the right side of the diode with a resistor to get what you want. Resistor value should be much more than the values of those two on the left, but not nearly as high as 1 Mohm.

If your Schottky diode can survive 38V then it should have the attenuator as its load like this:

Attachments

• Schottky rectifier.PNG
    Schottky rectifier.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 250
Schottkys are fast, yes? Silicon-metal diode, no minority carriers to sweep out? Or is my semiconductor physics bad?

speakerguy79 said:
Schottkys are fast, yes? Silicon-metal diode, no minority carriers to sweep out? Or is my semiconductor physics bad?
Big Schottkys have big junctions, and therefore lots of capacitance.

Attachments

• MBRS320 capacitance.PNG
    MBRS320 capacitance.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 208
  • MBR1045 capacitance.PNG
    MBR1045 capacitance.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 283
Thanks all,

sorry for incomplete data, the diode i'm using now is 1N5819, but i eventually can buy another one i need in 5 minutes from my home.

Yesterday i've imagine something about it, looking some diagrams here and there, so i've try to load the right part with a 33K resistor, but i can't measure anything anymore at the cathode, 0 level always.

Thanks again,
Angelo

spectrum said:
Thanks all,

sorry for incomplete data, the diode i'm using now is 1N5819, but i eventually can buy another one i need in 5 minutes from my home.

Yesterday i've imagine something about it, looking some diagrams here and there, so i've try to load the right part with a 33K resistor, but i can't measure anything anymore at the cathode, 0 level always.

Thanks again,
Angelo
What are the values of your resistors, and why are you doing this?

values of my voltage divider are 10M and 2,2M. Actually i'm just wandering how i can see the positive-only signal i was expecting, with negative part cutted by the diode, and then if possible to have a DC from this signal, using a capacitor.

angelo

A total of 12.2M is not a load. Try it with 10k in series with 2.2k.

speakerguy79 said:
Wow, I've never seen a Schottky that did 200V!

200V... get them upto alot higher

FWIW, I experimentally discovered my 1N5822's will actually do 50% more PIV than they're rated for. Failed short though - is that normal?

How about **broken link removed**? Pie in the sky, of course.
Schottky diodes made on these epitaxial diamond films have breakdown voltages >6 kV, twelve times the highest breakdown voltage reported for any diamond diode and higher than any other semiconductor Schottky diode.

speakerguy79 said:
FWIW, I experimentally discovered my 1N5822's will actually do 50% more PIV than they're rated for. Failed short though - is that normal?
Yeah, they usually get longer.:D

speakerguy79 said:
I should neg rep you for that :)
I know. I just couldn't resist.
I got a thanks and a balanced rep for this thread. What does a balanced rep mean? I suppose it is open to interpretation by the repper.

Last edited:
No one ever pos reps me here :( And I've got almost 400 posts. Hrmph.

On my other forum I've got mad rep. I got +3 in one day in recognition for calling the Iowa caucuses dead on (it's a politics/religio-stuff forum, so I won't mention any more here).

But seriously, do Schottky's generally fail as a dead short? My power supply was current limiting at 12.5A at a few tenths of a volt after it went.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back