Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic Search:Light Seeking Robot(without microcontroller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I have been searching the site (google too), but i have been unable to find a simple light seeking robot. It can be any robot that is run without a lm386 and a microcontroller. Please help!

Light seeking!

If you using LDR it is good only to go forward and reverse. No turning possibilities. Even though you make left & right with 4 LDR's it’s very inaccurate.

If you using IR can think a bit more to turn the robot in any direction.

Last edited:
well they use the LM386 in herbie circuits, which i awlays fry them, so i dont like using them.

I was thinking about using photodiodes instead of LDR. LDR are also called photoresistors. thats the term im more used to.

Try searching for "Walter's Turtle". It is a light seeking robot built in the late 40's by William Grey Walter. I have a book (Pic Robotics by John Iovine) with a Pic based version. It has three wheels and two LDR's with a barrier strip between them so it can tell if the light source is on the right or left. The LDR's are mounted on the front turning wheel so the servo can turn the wheel and find the light source.

Just some thoughts, I hope it helps.

--John

I was thinking, and i am willing to try somting new. I will be willing to use any robot that uses infrared for sensors.

you could just use 2 led's and wire them up to two transistors connected to the motors, but this is a bad way to do it if you want it to be precise:)

JohnH said:
Try searching for "Walter's Turtle". It is a light seeking robot built in the late 40's by William Grey Walter. I have a book (Pic Robotics by John Iovine) with a Pic based version. It has three wheels and two LDR's with a barrier strip between them so it can tell if the light source is on the right or left. The LDR's are mounted on the front turning wheel so the servo can turn the wheel and find the light source.

Just some thoughts, I hope it helps.

--John

I still cant find a simple schemmy for a light seeking robot! and i searched for the turtle, and couldnt find it.

I still cant find a simple schemmy for a light seeking robot! and i searched for the turtle, and couldnt find it.

If you can't find that using google, you really aren't trying hard enough. Walter's "turtles" are to robotics (and cybernetics) what the ENIAC is to computers; the prototypical piece of history that most people involved can point back to and say "THAT was the beginning!" (though for historical honesty, in the case of ENIAC at least, it wasn't).

William Grey Walter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
**broken link removed**)
Michael Gasperi's Grey Walter Machina Speculatrix Page
Moravec Robot book figure
**broken link removed**

It has been 3 years since Souper man last posted to this thread. dipeshkumar619 is looking for similar.

EDIT:
Souper man is either in his last year of high school or will start collage this fall. He has been very active in First Robotics. Not quite the noob he was when he started this thread.

Last edited:
It has been 3 years since Souper man last posted to this thread. dipeshkumar619 is looking for similar.

EDIT:
Souper man is either in his last year of high school or will start collage this fall. He has been very active in First Robotics. Not quite the noob he was when he started this thread.

Ooops - my apologies then; didn't see that - and it might explain why he couldn't find anything on the turtles...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back