Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

schematic for a mouse??

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you aware that it would be very difficult to build one on your own?
optical mice use a special sensor, sort of a little camera that is in a windowed IC, to basically look at the ground below it. I doubt you would be able to purchase one of these IC's on its own, and even if you could, i doubt it would be cheap or easy to interface with.

conversely, you can buy cheap no-brand optical mice for under $5 online if you look hard enough... if you're planning to use this for some sort of project, rather than just to try to make your own mouse, then you could very easily just tear a cheap one apart and do with it as you please. interfacing with the PS/2 bus isn't that hard.

I opened up a couple optical mice and the IC is actually quite easy to interface with. The chip has two qquadrature outputs (4 lines), one for X coordinate and one for y coordinate. This was intended to be a drop in replacement for a standard ball mouse. Building your own optical mouse would be quite difficult though. The optics have to be aligned just right to get the chip to work correctly. I'd recommend just cutting appart a cheap mouse and taking out the whole assembly, or adding your electronics to the mouse case.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back