Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic capture, design, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellTriX

I'm looking for a simple program just to draw up roughs schematics so
when I ask for assistance on a project I can show a schematic of what I'm doing. I don't need a simulator, I have one, but its schematic output sucks.

The other problem I have I tried using Eagle for this, but I can't find a lot of the circuits I use. For instance, I wanted to draw my motor controller but I cant find anything resembling a High/Low bridge driver chip to add to the circuit so that
people would know if I connected it correctly..

Ideas?

I'm looking for a simple program just to draw up roughs schematics so
when I ask for assistance on a project I can show a schematic of what I'm doing. I don't need a simulator, I have one, but its schematic output sucks.

The other problem I have I tried using Eagle for this, but I can't find a lot of the circuits I use. For instance, I wanted to draw my motor controller but I cant find anything resembling a High/Low bridge driver chip to add to the circuit so that

Ideas?

hi,
For general purpose use, the expresspcb [freeware] also comes with a schematic package. Google for expresspcb

You need to learn a package such as Eagle, it has a library editor where you can create your own symbols. This is something you must learn to do. Once you know how, it is no big deal. At my last job, we had a dept, that all they did was make library symbols for our CAD circuit software. Your lucky if your CAD package has basic TTL and CMOS symbols. Just grin and bear it, learn the symbol editor.

There is always going to be a few parts you can not find. Regardless of the package, you need to learn to make your own parts. Eagle has a fairly wide user base and often you can find the part you need on the web. But if you make it yourself, you can build the schematic part symbol to look exactly as you want.

There are several tutorials on building an Eagle part.

Ideas?

Last edited:
To illustrate this point. In my schema program, I wanted a funky looking symbol, so I made it myself. As shown. Cool part here is you put your creative talent to work. Just be sure to define inputs, outputs, etc.

It was a foot pedal switch I believe.

Attachments

• symbol.gif
    symbol.gif
    619 bytes · Views: 176
Last edited:
Wow so many replys in short time.

I just learned how to import libs into eagle. Didn't realize how many they had available on their web page too.

here is my first schematic using it:
Link Here

Tnx for the replys.

Looks like your learning, but you need to know when to terminate a wire. There should be connection dots where a wire terminates into another wire, also you have wires running through your components such as your diodes. But do not despair, these things can be corrected.

Last edited:
Looks like your learning, but you need to know when to terminate a wire. There should be connection dots where a wire terminates into another wire, also you have wires running through your components such as your diodes. But do not despair, these things can be corrected.

Did I get carried away with dots? or is this about right?

**broken link removed**

I made some suggestions in the image below. See pic.

Attachments

• fixschema.gif
    fixschema.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: 3v0
Thanks!
I will kill the angles. Won't use dots on all the parts :)

As for the diode, that was just one of the styles in eagle, the line through it was part of their image, guess it looks misleading. I will try to use a different style next time. Maybe something more standard. (I built it hurriedly so I just grabbed the first ones I saw hehe)

tnx again

One thing I do not understand. I would think your schematic capture package would automatically put the connection dots as needed instead of you having to do it manually.
I have never used Eagle, so maybe that is the way it is. Is it possible that there is a config setting somewhere to set that. If not, then I would not like Eagle too much.

Maybe 3V0 can explain.

Last edited:
The dots indicate junctions. They are present where two wires meet but not where a wire meets a pin (circle). They are automatic as suggested by Mikebits.

You can also place a junction most anywhere by selecting it from the tool bar. Infrequently used.

You should not have a junction where a single wire meets a pin. Use the zoom tool to find the extra wire and delete it. If you have to delete the wanted wire too and redraw it.

If you are unsure if a wire is connected to a pin you can grab it and try to move it. If the wire does not move away from the pin it is connected.

When you are learning keep the wires vertical or horizontal. Do not use the right mouse button or the icons on the tool bar to draw angles or curves.

One thing I do not understand. I would think your schematic capture package would automatically put the connection dots as needed instead of you having to do it manually.
I have never used Eagle, so maybe that is the way it is. Is it possible that there is a config setting somewhere to set that. If not, then I would not like Eagle too much.

Maybe 3V0 can explain.

3V0, why did his wires not auto connect at the junctions in his first schematic that he posted. Could he have used a line tool meant to make text notes etc, instead of using a make connection tool?
Does the program have a (DRC) design rule checker?

I guess I should DL a copy.

Last edited:
3V0, why did his wires not auto connect at the junctions in his first schematic that he posted. Could he have used a line tool meant to make text notes etc, instead of using a make connection tool?
Does the program have a (DRC) design rule checker?

I guess I should DL a copy.
Unless HellTriX zips up a copy of the eagle schematic file and attaches it to a post I can only guess at what he is doing. I should have suggested that.

The schematic editor has an ERC tool which checks for unconnected pins etc. The layout editor has a DRC tool which checks for layout rule violations.

Eagle just released a update.

I Just DL a copy and will try it out, I am sure it is like most. I noticed the website has a library section. Have you encountered many errors in the symbols from the user lib section?

Thanks

Last edited:
I Just DL a copy and will try it out, I am sure it is like most. I noticed the website has a library section. Have you encountered many errors in the symbols from the user lib section?

Thanks

No but others have found errors.
Unless a part is rarely used I think people would report problems.
Maybe I have been lucky.

Using latest Eagle.
Shoot, I ran into the same issue. I looked into the settings, I have auto junction set to on. I placed 3 devices on the page, connected two pins from device A to device B, then tried to connect a pin from device C to the wire from A to B and no visible junction dot.
I then right clicked wire at device C, clicked on properties and named the net as Fred. Then I checked attributes of wire A to B, it also had the net name Fred, so I know they are connected, but no dot is seen. So how do I make that darn dot visible?

Ok, here is a test schematic. I just used the wire cmd, no dot.

???

Attachments

• test.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 128
Ok, here is a test schematic. I just used the wire cmd, no dot.

???

Ok good, I'm not the only one :)

I looked for options to auto junction dots but couldn't find anything.
I did zip up the schematic but guess its not required now.
Side note: I use Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition in case there may
be a bug while in this OS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back