Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scanning robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaefame

Hello Everyone,

As I joined the master program. A project was offered to me. Building a robot that will measure the wall thickness of the bottom part of the tank. Imagine you have a cylindrical tank and you want to map the bottom part of it using an intelligient robot.

My project is to design this robot so that

1- It will scan the bottom part of the tank
2- Make a map showing the thickness of different part

Note:
1- THe tank is filled with oil
2- Robot should dive into the oil and do the measuring

I am just here to gather idea? Where to start?

or

If you found any similar project over the net let me know

What type of oil? Are you doing this by yourself? What control system are you using? What sensors? What is the target date?

The same kind of oil you use in your car (Petrol).

I am living in UAE and i have a professor and supervisor working with me on this project, but in the same time a professor from Maryland university(USA) will work with us and he has another graduate student who will work on this project total of (4active member) (1supervisor).

The project has a period of 2 years starting from september.

The equipment budget is $40,000.

For the sensor? Not sure yet what to select?

For the control? Also not sure about it.

My first task> is to scan the internet and books about sourses and gather as much information regarding this topic.

Last edited:
Hello again,

Can you recommend for me a few sensor to look at?

Thanks in advance

Hello again,

Can you recommend for me a few sensor to look at?

Thanks in advance
hi,
Whats the tank made of,,, material.?

When you say the wall of the tank, do you mean the curved section or the base of the tank.

How deep is the liquid [petrol].?

Hello again,

The tank is made of steel.
The inspection is done for the bottom part of the tank not the curve part.
I am not sure about it. Estimate for now is 8-10m high.

I will start investigating acoustic emission sensor
Then I will start ultra sonic flaw detection

IF you know other method to measure bottom wall thickness to investiage corrision Please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the reply

Hmm..
Electromagnetic induction and ulltrasonics are probably the best way to explore first.

There is however another type of sensor that could be used but because of the way it works using some would consider it dangerous to health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back