Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Say Hello to my Little Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I have been considering the purchase of a Network Analyzer for some time now. This could take my hobby and passion for the RF world to a whole new level. I am not sure what level of expense is justified for a hobby. Have any of you ever splurged more than you felt comfortable with on your hobbies?
Maybe I could figure out how to put this hobby to work for me. Anyways, I just put a bid on this little baby. Well not that little at 75 pounds.

Before you call me an idiot, keep in mind my current health problems have pretty much left me housebound and I am going crazy, or maybe I am already crazy. :nailbiting:

VNA.JPG

We hello little network analyser, how are you?
Please assure your master that no expense should be spared when It comes to hobbies which keep him sane.
How do I know this?
I asked the spectrum analyser and it assured me. Not only that, but the signal generator agreed with it.

JimB

I like the way you think Jim, and you have a good sense of humor too. Thanks for that, you made me chuckle :)

Ermm .. .. .. . you two are talking to an electronic instrument to confirm your sanity ?? Very worrying .. .. .. :)

if you get it, you may be replacing the floppy with a Floppy Emulator. Hint: Factor it in.

There are some really cool network enabled replacements for the full height varieties. I have a "floppy emulator" thing on the back burner.

Wow, the heaviest piece I ever handled myself was a WWII? Scott receiver, 54 pounds anti vibration fittings included!

Used the BFO to copy SSB signals.

Thanks KISS, I am still looking at how to do the GPIB interface :confused:

I am still looking at how to do the GPIB interface

Have a look at this GPIB-USB interface, works OK for me:
https://prologix.biz/gpib-usb-controller.html

For a freeware application to run on a PC, try EZGPIB:

Unfortunately Ulrich Bangert died a couple of years ago, but his software is still available. It is a bit quirky in places and the odd German word creeps into menus, but it works for me.

I also use a live data plotter called LiveGraph, useful if you are running a test over an extended period and want to see how the thing is trending.
Again this is freeware, the remnants of a university project and a bit quirky in places, but works for me.

JimB

Well, I come from the HP85/86 ERA. Later the MINC-11 and even later yet LabVIEW on the MAC and PC. LabView is probably the cream of the crop with VEE coming in 2nd.

When GPIB comes up, invariably Python comes up.

Here's http://www.makerplot.com/ an interesting piece of work I've come across.

I used to get cables and adapters from www.l-com.com. They made cables with plastic connectors that were cheaper.

The interfaces and USB adapters were around $500. For work I did buy one of the GPIB over Ethernet adapters. Tough was simultaneous triggering. I lost my reference materials. I should stay stolen or something like that.

Well, it is no longer my friend. At the last 10 minutes of the bidding someone swooped in and wanted more than me. In a way I am relieved as I was having second thoughts. I think a Spec An with a tracking generator may be more useful. Oh well, there will always be another one up for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back