Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

saturated operational amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

picozero

Hi all!
This is my first post so, sorry if I would not be proficient in discussing electronics

I am stuck in a practical experiment, I studied how amplifier for obtaining gain work. And I created a small circuit with an astable multivibrator, and operational, 2 resistors, two batteries of 9v:
Something like this:
**broken link removed**

Where the settings are :
non inverting input.
Rf = 300 K, Rg=150K
And the expected gain should be : Av= 1 + Rf/Rg = 3.
Doing a simulation I obtain reasonable results.
Where the output in volts of the operational is effectively augmented.
But when I build the real circuit it doesn't happen:
The oscillator generates a square wave that I can detect with
oscilloscope and even with a tester (between -4.80v +4.80v ), the output of the amplifier is instead stuck to 7.8v.
I have done this with a LM741, and also using a LM386 (one with
single supply) and nothing.
The crazy thing is that I obtain constant 7.8 v independently from the value of the feedback resistors (like they don't matter) and even if I completely disconnect the input.
So, it is like if whatever I do with this configuration
**broken link removed**
the amplifier saturates to 7.8v and end of the story.
I also tried the inverting input configuration and nothing.

Someone told me I need to insert a capacitor between the two part of the system and one in the output., but what is the logic in this ?
1- Why do I need a cap between the 555 and the op? and what should be its capacity ?

2- Putting a cap am I not interfiring in some kind of way into the frequency (it is a relative of an high pass in that way) ?

3- Why and what should be the capacity in the one in the output ?

4- Assuming i connect a photodiode with a transinpedence amplifier instead of the
square wave generator should I also put a cap before the amplifier ?

5- Since the LM386 is single supply if I use it instead of the LM741, should I add some kind of virtual ground in addition to the cap ?
Thank you for the patient :lol:

Because the old crappy worthless 741 has a very restricted output voltage swing, and you have set it up for a voltage gain of 3 (1+300K/150K), then the largest signal you could connect to the non-inverting input of the 741 would be about 2V p-p; you are driving it with almost 9Vp-p, so it just goes into saturation...

Last edited:
The crazy thing is that I obtain constant 7.8 v independently from the value of the feedback resistors (like they don't matter) and even if I completely disconnect the input.
So, it is like if whatever I do with this configuration
**broken link removed**
the amplifier saturates to 7.8v and end of the story.
I also tried the inverting input configuration and nothing.
You can not leave the input to an op amp open. It will saturate due to the input bias current. If you connect Vin to 0V then the output should be 0V (if the op amp has a plus and minus supply).

Thanks you are confirming the hypothesis:

1. Reduce/use a smaller input: e.g. 1 or 2 volts.
2. Polarize the input e.g. with a virtual ground or Vcc/2.

I am still not sure about the decoupling of the two parts of the circuit, if I add a capacitor between the 555 and the 741 then I am interfering in some kind of way with the frequencies. Right ?

I am still not sure about the decoupling of the two parts of the circuit, if I add a capacitor between the 555 and the 741 then I am interfering in some kind of way with the frequencies. Right ?
If you added a series capacator you would also need a resistor to ground from op amp input to supply the op amp input bias current.

The affect on the frequencies would depend upon the value of the cap and resistor, which would here form a high-pass filter. Frequencies below the roll-off frequency would be attenuated (which would also cause a droop in a square-wave signal). The -3dB roll-off frequency of an RC circuit is f = 1/(2*pi*R*C).

I suspect you've connected R4 in the wrong place. If you connected it to the -terminal of v2 instead of ground, you would see what you're reporting. Also, the output of the mulitvibrator would be 0-9V, and not +/-4.8V, so I'm concerned about how it's been connected, per your drawing.

solved

Solved, practically I was not polarizing properly the op.amp. I need to send a Vcc/2 to the non.inverting input.

Then I agree with all your considerations about inseriting resistors/capacitors for lowering the inpunt signal, even if it was not the main problem.
Cheers and thanks

You should also add a small value resistor (even 10 ohms) in series with the non-inverting input. A similar problem bit me once.

You should also add a small value resistor (even 10 ohms) in series with the non-inverting input. A similar problem bit me once.
It is not needed. The input resistance of the input of a 741 opamp is typically 2M ohms so 10 ohms in series is just a piece of wire.

We don't know if the oscillator is an ordinary 555 or a Cmos 555 since it has no part number. The output of an ordinary 555 goes from +0.01V to +7.7V when its supply is +9.0V. The input of the 741 opamp stops working properly when its voltage is higher than +5V in that circuit.
The output of the 741 opamp goes from +0.12V to about +6V in that circuit and it never goes negative.

Nope. I had such an issue with an IA (AD625) output side driving an OP amp (AD711). A wire wouldn't work. A 10 ohm resistor did. Needed some place for Ib to drop across.

Nope. I had such an issue with an IA (AD625) output side driving an OP amp (AD711). A wire wouldn't work. A 10 ohm resistor did. Needed some place for Ib to drop across.
But an AD711 opamp is not a 741 opamp. It has Jfet inputs so it does not have any input bias current (just very small leakage current).

Agree with audioguru... the Zin of the AD711 is 3x10^12 Ω... another 10 won't do a thing. The AD625 can drive ±10V down to 2K.

If a series 10Ω fixed the problem, something else was wrong... layout perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back