Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Saturable core reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick A

Hello, all;

I hope someone will entertain a question from a relative neophyte.

I've built a TIG welder from an AC stick machine; works OK but I'd like to be able to control the welding current between the preset amp settings (taps on the transformer). I've learned that I can do this with a saturable core reactor and have read what I can find about the idea, lot of theory but not much "nuts & bolts" info. I'm using a MOT with the secondary removed, the primary being the DC control winding, but I need to know about how many turns for the AC winding and how many DC amps at what voltage. It'll control at most about 40 amps on one of the 220v legs going into the welder transformer. Any advice will be appreciated.

Rick A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back