Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Satellite Radio Antenna ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
I'm installing a docking station for a Delphi RoadyXt (SA10177) XM Sat receiver in a RV.

The antenna seems to be an "active" antenna with 5V DC power up the coax. What comes back down the coax, amplified 2340MHz baseband or down-converted I.F.? i.e. what is the frequency of the R.F. signal running down the XM coax?

How critical is the length of the mini-coax that runs to the magnetic antenna? I could shorten it considerably, but in the process, I would prefer to cut it near the middle, route it through a small hole to the outside of the RV, and after removing the excess length, splice the cut ends inside the RV.
I'd rather do that then drilling a hole big enough to pass the connector.

I could also use a hermetic through-bulkhead coax feed-through (BNC-TNC-SMA?) and then install matching connectors on the cut ends of the XM antenna coax.

Also, does the XM antenna require a metallic ground-plane under it? If so, how big? The RV has a rubber membrane roof, but I could mount the XM antenna on a metal vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back