Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samwha electrolytic capacitors quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly_k

Hi folks anyone any experience with Samwha capacitors? I am looking at these to replace some large ageing electrolytics in an old amplifier (75W) and wonder if I can expect a reasonably long life and decent performance out of them?

oh an ebay link - **broken link removed**

Need to know the voltage rating of the cap in the circuit. Samwah doesn't have a great reputation (don't know if it is well deserved or not). Generally speaking you will get longer life from the higher temperature rating/ripple current and lower ESR.

2 x capacitors @ 63V rating for a +/- 50v supply. Not sure what make they are off hand but most electros in this unit were Roederstein which I think were about as good as you got in 1981! ESR quite good in some of them but one or two were a little high ohms.
I think I might leave them then as there is no sign of leakage and the ripple at maximum volume under load is less than a volt. I just wanted to guarantee some longevity before I sold the unit on but I am not prepared to pay £20+++ for a single capacitor!
Not sure that a bad rep for Samwha would be justified but that is what I would like to know for sure!
Olly.

Thanks Ronv. I guess it could have been any number of reasons, like you say too much heat build up or a bad batch, maybe a combination of factors. If they had been stored on a shelf for 3 years as that article suggests that would have not been ideal I guess!!!
I suspect they are ok though. I would really like to hear from anyone else or maybe if anyone has any reasonably priced alternatives!

Thanks Ronv, if I ever look at bigger orders I will look at them first! They have a better range of 10000uf than many of our trade (UK's) suppliers!

Is there anyone in the UK that can give me some pointers? Nigel, you service tellies 'n' stuff - are you around?

Samwha caps are crappy

I go with Nichicon and/or NCC all the time

Other good brands are Mallory, Panasonic, CDE, and Rubycon.

Nichicon has FG and FZ series are meant for audio use.

-Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back