Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samsung Monitor 206bw

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I replaced the bad Caps which is typical. I have already repaired 3 other samsung monitors a bit newer no troubles all went well with them.

This one is a 206bw I was able to get it to turn on but, the bottom of the screen is dim.

I suspect the back light. The top half is looking good, maybe I could get voltages off it somehow. If so, how would I approach it?

Any suggestions.

If the bottom half is dim, it sounds like the backlight tubes aren't all lit.

A common problem is the inverter transformers, I changed one in a Samsung TV/Monitor this week - it was a single (large) transformer, with two distinct halves. One secondary half read 1.1K, the duff half read 1.8K - the new one I fitted read 1.1K on both halves.

That monitor should have 2 ccfl's. I'd try to swap their connectors around first. If this causes the top half to be dim then you know the inverter is broken and not the ccfl itself.

Last edited:
I replaced the bad Caps which is typical. I have already repaired 3 other samsung monitors a bit newer no troubles all went well with them.

This one is a 206bw I was able to get it to turn on but, the bottom of the screen is dim.

I suspect the back light. The top half is looking good, maybe I could get voltages off it somehow. If so, how would I approach it?

Any suggestions.

How old were those monitors?

If the bottom half is dim, it sounds like the backlight tubes aren't all lit.

A common problem is the inverter transformers, I changed one in a Samsung TV/Monitor this week - it was a single (large) transformer, with two distinct halves. One secondary half read 1.1K, the duff half read 1.8K - the new one I fitted read 1.1K on both halves.

I noticed that transformer, I'm guessing your saying 1.1k ohms and not 1.1kv. If the Transformers is bad. Is it possible to rob one from a different monitor? I'm sure there not cheap.

How old were those monitors?

Not sure, I found them in our surplus and snatched them before they went to the public. I noticed all of them had the same problem. I figured easy fix. I measured ESR on all ther caps on the board. Only 2 bulging 1k caps.

That monitor should have 2 ccfl's. I'd try to swap their connectors around first. If this causes the top half to be dim then you know the inverter is broken and not the ccfl itself.

That thought occurred to me as I started the thread. I didn't think about it again till now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I noticed that transformer, I'm guessing your saying 1.1k ohms and not 1.1kv. If the Transformers is bad. Is it possible to rob one from a different monitor? I'm sure there not cheap.

Yes, 1.1K ohms :D

Assuming you can find an identical one, then swapping it would be fine - as long as it's OK.

A new one wasn't expensive though, about £12 plus VAT.

I had a good day - I replaced an inverter transformer in a Samsung 19 inch set, I fitted a new inverter board in a Toshiba 42 inch set, and replaced two bare PCB's (just connectors and tracks - one board was burnt in half) and a damaged CCFL tube inside a Sharp 32 inch LCD panel :D

Yes, 1.1K ohms :D

Assuming you can find an identical one, then swapping it would be fine - as long as it's OK.

I had a good day - I replaced an inverter transformer in a Samsung 19 inch set, I fitted a new inverter board in a Toshiba 42 inch set, and replaced two bare PCB's (just connectors and tracks - one board was burnt in half) and a damaged CCFL tube inside a Sharp 32 inch LCD panel :D

Wow:O Excellent.:)

That price it would be ok. I don't have an account with anyone, how could I get it? Who are the common suppliers in the states that would sell me one without being an authorized repair center?

Wow:O Excellent.:)

That price it would be ok. I don't have an account with anyone, how could I get it? Who are the common suppliers in the states that would sell me one without being an authorized repair center?

Can't help you in the states, but we aren't Samsung agents either, that price was retail from a wholesaler (CHS in Pocklington).

Thanks, I'll plug in the part # on the transformer. Maybe I'll get some hits off the net.

Tomorrow, I'll probably switch the ccfl's and test the transformer.

At least I have some clues to chase before I call it quits.

Thanks for all the info:)

I switched the connectors on the ccfl's with no change. Just for the hell of it I measured the Transformer. 1.076k and 1.070k.

I thought maybe if the transformer was going bad it would shorten the life of a bulb.

I will end up using this monitor I'll switch it out for one in a classroom running a network clock for the professors . The big red number are in the center of the screen. It will never be noticed.

Thanks for all the help.

kv

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back