Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samsung LN55C650L LCD TV HDMI Issue ... bad cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julian734

Hey Brains! Just wanted to run this by you before I return this TV for no reason. I bought a new 55" LCD TV and got it all hooked up using hdmi cables and everything was great until I moved the TV swivel and the picture cut out. When I wiggled the HDMI cble the picture went in and out but it is fine as long as I dont move anything. MY QUESTION IS... Is this typical with HDMI connections or should I pack it all back up and exchange it for another one? I should mention that the HDMI cables were the cheapest ones they have because I ordered some good ones on eBay and they aren't here yet. I tried the cables on another tv and had the same result so I assumed its the cable but I'm not 100% sure because It only happens when I move the base of the cable, not the wire. Let me know your thoughts please and thanks in advance!

I think its likely you have either a bum connector - either on the TV or on the cable. I would first try returning the cheap cable you have, and buying the next better cable - and trying it out; if that doesn't work, it's likely the connector on the TV; I'd return it if that is the case. If the better cable works, though - then it was likely the cable. Keep the cable (and your receipt) until your new cables arrive, and try them out. If everything is kosher (and it hasn't been too long), return the cable back to the store for your money (or in-store credit). HDMI connectors aren't the greatest thing on the planet, but they shouldn't be causing the issues you are seeing on a new TV, either.

Thats exactly the route I figured I would go. Just waiting on the new cables to come in. Good news is that if its a bad connector, I may get upgraded to a better model since this tv was a closeout at Fry's. The bad news is I have to pack it all back up! We'll see what happens...Thanks for the reply.

it could be the connector in the TV as well. HDMI through-hole connectors aren't used much anymore, and the SMT versions don't like to have the cable shells wrenched. they easily pull loose of the solder connections, or worse, pull up the pads on the PC board. the through hole versions stood up to that kind of mechanical force a whole lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back