Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samsung HTZ310 receiver not powering up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregm

I just "inherited" a Samsung surround sound system (HT-Z310) from a friend because the receiver just recently decided to stop turning on. He swears it was on a surge protector, and we haven't had any storms recently. From reading other forums, the fuse on this receiver is a 382 TR-5 Series fuse (Littelfuse 382 Series TR-5 Subminiature Fuses). Does anyone know how I'd go about replacing it, or even telling if the fuse is the reason it won't boot?

any answers would be appreciated.

Samsung HT-Z310

I have the exact same model as yours and I know for a fact it was plugged into a surge protector but during a storm it was killed and now it will not power up.

I'm in the same position as you.

I think this belongs in the forum called, "repairing electronics" but...
You replace a fuse by finding it and then checking the fuse with an ohm meter.
If the fuse isn't available from the outside, you have to open the unit and look inside.

the fuse in that power supply is either a 5x20mm cartridge fuse or a small brown round device that has some writing on it's flat top. you can check with an ohmmeter from the power cord prongs to the center two pins of the bridge rectifier to see if you have continuity, if you don't have continuity from one center pin of the rectifier to it's matching prong on the plug (one pin goes to one prong, the other pin goes to the other prong), the fuse is open. surge protectors don't always work the way they're expected to.... i hear it all the time "i had it plugged into a surge protector..." it doesn't matter.... lightning has traveled several miles through the sky... a 1/8" (4mm) piece of silicon isn't going to stop it. the fast rise time of a lightning pulse generates a large spike across the plates (similar to a ceramic capacitor) of the MOV before the silicon has a chance to conduct. a better method of protection would be to have gas tube protection across the MOVs. the gas tubes would respond a lot faster (nanoseconds compared to microseconds). still the best thing to do with thunderstorms in the area is to unplug anything that can be damaged by a nearby hit. unplugging your equipment is the ONLY thing that will protect from a direct hit as well, lightning often jumps power switches that are turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back