Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samsung HTZ-310 Home Theatre...fried or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batten-Hill

Hello All,

A question from an enthusiastic amateur, posted in the hope that someone may have already done the fix!

I was using my Samsung HTZ-310 for sound only; the digital audio and HDMI leads were connected, as were the speakers. Suddenly there was a fizzing sound and smoke, so I powered everything down. After reconnection, the TV and digital (SKY TV) receiver worked as normal but the Home Theatre would only go into protect mode.

I stripped out the box today and took a look. There's nothing obviously fried but I have yet to look under the boards.

The odd part is that if I now power up the unit with nothing else connected, it seems to start up fine. There's no more protect mode occurring and I can select all the various functions. By the way, the fan is not running.

Has anyone ever met this problem or have any ideas?

Thank you, David

Still this fault bothering you? since it went to protect mode, something must have happened. were the speakers suited for amplifier? most likely were if those were originals that came with unit
You said there were nothing else connected when re-powering, was even speakers un-connected?
And about fan, according to manual it should run all the time, so something is pissed in system

can you draw what were feeding and how (inputs/outputs) for entire system? it could be miswiring.
these were thoughts i came up with...

Thanks fezder, good thoughts.

As the system was powering up, I remade all the plug in connections and it all worked perfectly.

After about three evenings' use it died. There's now no response to plugging in the power...no lights, no activity.

I haven't yet looked inside but I suspect a fuse could have blown.

Will take a look when I've time.

If there's blown fuse, it won't just blow, there is some fault looming inside.
was the unit on when making connections? that can sometimes cause problems, once when i was in local tv-shop, i saw on live when tv went poof when staff was putting it in-use. of course there could have been some other reason, maybe it was FOA (faulty on arrival)

you can of course change any blown fuse, but when re-powering, don't plug any cables.
Let it run as idle, and if fuse blows, definitely fault inside

Thanks again fezder,

I took the precaution of unplugging the unit before reconnecting the speakers and digital audio cable. And as I said, it worked perfectly before simply going dead without warning.

I too suspect the problem will be inside. I understand there are fuse components that are soldered on to the various boards but I'll obviously check the plug fuse first.

yeah, there are fuses and ''fuses''. some devices have so called ''crowbar'' circuit that triggers short-circuit to blow up fuse FAST if problem arises, but i never seen one in any device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back