Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samsung flat screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hi Guys

I'm in the deep end here :(
I've been asked to look at this Samsung flat screen. Picture looks like it's got noise or something going on. Pic's etc below. Any pointers will be appreciated.

IMG_20190930_133553.jpg
IMG_20190930_133319.jpg

The advertising blurb for these sets speaks about auto noise cancelling on the pict etc. I thought maybe that had gone faulty ?

It almost looks like the brightness/contrast has gone to something extreme!
Is there a master reset in the TV settings menu or service menus?

It's a VERY, VERY common fault - as I said, a failure of the LCD screen, or part there of. It 'may' be on the T-CON board, but this is supplied as part of the LCD panel, and isn't often available separately - even with second hand boards, there's also an issue that it 'might' need a software update, and you would need to locate an update for your exact T-CON board, TV model and serial number, and physical LCD hardware. If you're lucky, one out of the exact same set might work as is.

I'm in the deep end with Flat screens. I've been paid per job since 2001. I know my way around CRT. Flat screens are another whole ball game... it's not gonna do me any good to now do flat screens and I'm basically stuffed. Can't learn and try make money at the same time.

Costs the company nothing. While I'm gonna starve. No more.

People that are not Technically inclined just want to see money coming in from repairs.

No more. Not at my expense.

Your DDR is set to "Line". Change to "Samsung". Done in the menu. And you can send me a 25 percent commission.

Also, the TV has a history. Apparently they changed boards and tried stuff. Noone tells me that. So I come here for help and look like a fool.

Everytime I've worked on something I can't fix I make sure the next person working on it knows what I tried. So he doesn't repeat the process.

Your DDR is set to "Line". Change to "Samsung". Done in the menu. And you can send me a 25 percent commission.

Thanks Gopert but that doesn't work on this set. There is no setting in service mode for DDR.

So anyway this morning, I have a brainwave. I do a Factory Reset.

Power set on thereafter....and now the picture is upside down. More problems lol... hahahaha

Anyway frantic searching on YouTube revealed a service mode setting that fixed it. Whew.

It's like it was now before I started with it. And that's the way it's gonna stay for now.

At least it hasn't got worse lol

It's a VERY, VERY common fault - as I said, a failure of the LCD screen, or part there of. It 'may' be on the T-CON board, but this is supplied as part of the LCD panel, and isn't often available separately - even with second hand boards, there's also an issue that it 'might' need a software update, and you would need to locate an update for your exact T-CON board, TV model and serial number, and physical LCD hardware. If you're lucky, one out of the exact same set might work as is.
Hi Nigel :)

Right now I don't have enough accurate info of the sets history here. Suffice to say people tried stuff etc etc. So it looks like I could end up in the middle of something I didn't create. All my gut feeling is telling me now is back off.

And that is what I'm doing with this set. Thanks Champ but I know when to leave something alone.

tv

Hi Nigel :)

Right now I don't have enough accurate info of the sets history here. Suffice to say people tried stuff etc etc. So it looks like I could end up in the middle of something I didn't create. All my gut feeling is telling me now is back off.

And that is what I'm doing with this set. Thanks Champ but I know when to leave something alone.

The days of making any money on TV repairs was CRT, now the parts are too expensive, rarely available, and new TV's are dirt cheap.

I always imagined when I retired (which isn't far away) I'd be able to make a nice little living doing a few repairs a week - not a chance now :D

I'm very pleased to out of the TV trade, I'm earning less money now, but I'm working less days (only 4 days a week) and much shorter days as well, and I'm having a lot of fun :D

The days of making any money on TV repairs was CRT, now the parts are too expensive, rarely available, and new TV's are dirt cheap.

I always imagined when I retired (which isn't far away) I'd be able to make a nice little living doing a few repairs a week - not a chance now :D

I'm very pleased to out of the TV trade, I'm earning less money now, but I'm working less days (only 4 days a week) and much shorter days as well, and I'm having a lot of fun :D

You're Technical knowledge AND experience is invaluable. Noone can take that from you. Never forget that.

If that ain't the truth! Can't make a dime or retire repairing any consumer electronics anymore. That was my hopeful plan also. Missing those local electronic parts stores also!:confused: Can't afford all those mail order shipping cost either.

If that ain't the truth! Can't make a dime or retire repairing any consumer electronics anymore.

So, I hear those lines a lot...and I believe you. But I can't help but wonder if there is still a niche there.....

Consumer throws it out when broken.

You retrieve at no cost.

You repair, maybe 20% to some kind of working state.

You sell/consign at a thrift/used store.

Is there any room for that? I am just curious. I have no interest in doing this but I note that there are many "second hand" options and recently I was impressed by the second hand clothing options (people who bought very high end designer crap and grew out of it).

The key, of course, is to exploit the "thrown out when the fix was feasible and even easy".

Again, I don't know, but wonder what others think.

Although, not wanting to be Sanford & Son, I have bought very few NEW items in the past few years! ;) Just can't seem to make it profitable. We need to start an organization or something to pool talents! Hi, hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back