Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sampling rate for vynl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

well I'm going to record my dads old LP collection into mp3/cd format, now my soundcard can sample at 96 KHz but I wonder if it would help at all ? is it worth it or would I just be wasting my time and best doing it at 48 or 44 KHz ?

Thunderchild said:
well I'm going to record my dads old LP collection into mp3/cd format, now my soundcard can sample at 96 KHz but I wonder if it would help at all ? is it worth it or would I just be wasting my time and best doing it at 48 or 44 KHz ?

Probably best doing it at 44.1KHz so you can transfer them to CD if you want - MP3 is considerably poorer quality than that, so pretty pointless recording it higher just to downgrade it?.

Really depends on the quality of the low-pass filter in the sound card. Best to try it at 44.1, especially with music containing flute, violin, or snare drums. If you notice aliasing (swooshing or hissing side effects with high pitched sounds), then try it at 96, and down convert electronically.

You should know quickly, which sounds better.

I'd go with the higher sampling rate and then down convert afterwards, as long as the noise floor doesn't go up substantially at the higher sampling rate. It's very subjective, though you could find out the most amount of information using a sound program that has an FFT mode and using a function generator attached to the sound card to find out how to get the best signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back