Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samples 4 Students???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoorsie

I know i sound cheap, but i am really broke, and i can't pay ten bucks for shipping every time i order an ic. does anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited:
You answered your own question in your title didn't you? You could also order en masse...by ordering very infrequently and saving up your money.

If you got no money coming in though...well...get a job :D it's an endless pit of money given enough time.

Last edited:
It really depends on what IC's you need. For one, you could try eBay. Just look for sellers near your area and check to see that they dont charge a ton for shipping. If you are looking for specialized IC's, Maxim (www.maximic.com) is very generous about samples and doesn't charge for quantities of up to 4 IC's.

When ordering from maxim, i can't find any way to proceed through checkout without incurring that extra 9.95.....

jmoorsie said:
When ordering from maxim, i can't find any way to proceed through checkout without incurring that extra 9.95.....
I've done it, though I don't order samples very often so I forget everything.

jmoorsie said:
I know i sound cheap, but i am really broke, and i can't pay ten bucks for shipping every time i order an ic. does anybody have any suggestions?
  1. Find a sponsor to support your activities
  2. Switch to Art History

if it is for school, get your prof or lab manager to request samples of the parts. or just ask the lab manager, they might have them in stock already. my old college had a real big lab support dept, all sorts of ics, passives and whatnot in stock to support the ongoing classes.

jmoorsie said:

You could find a local robotics/electronics/ham club, and look into joining. Often these groups will do mass orders from, say, DigiKey, thereby getting order prices up above the break point for the shipping charges and spreading the remaining overhead cost among several members.

Torben

Have you tried GetAJob.com ? Many students find it useful. Or you can try LieToMomAndDad.com , usually works occassionally...

You have to find a way for the sponsor to benefit from what you do, convince them that you do have reslults (something that really helps is having a previous thing to show to them), and be very business like about it, because that's what your sponsor is...a business.

It is VERY hard to find a sponsor, since they don't like to sponsor individuals. What I would do, is to Dumpster diving, or go looking for broken stuff. Then pull the parts off the board as you need them. I used to do that, and it can help you.

I second the ebay suggestion. For small parts and kits I like **broken link removed** and **broken link removed**.

Some other stores ship for $1.50, up to $3.50. Seldom are they even close to $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back