Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Salvaging old TV parts (Pictures Included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SONY TV MODEL#: KP-53V45
POWER: 120V 60 Hz 175W
COLOR REAR VIDEO PROJECTOR
S/N: 9002540
MFG DATE: JUNE 1997
(The model number is correct, the rest of the info I found online)

In Nov. of 97' my dad bought a brand new 53" (or 52") Sony Rear-Projection TV. Just over a month ago we got some water damage in the basement and the TV wouldn't turn on. Now its been sitting in my garage for the last few weeks and I want to salvage any valuable parts.

I don't know much about TVs but its got plenty of cool stuff in it and tons of warnings. I've seen in "make" magazine some pictorials on how to use the laser from a DVD player to melt things and other electronic projects like that. I dunno if this constitutes as hacking, but if you guys have any cool ideas or know of some valuable parts let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

• Rear-Projection TV 014-001.jpg
    Rear-Projection TV 014-001.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Rear-Projection TV 007-001.jpg
    Rear-Projection TV 007-001.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 626
  • Rear-Projection TV 006-001.jpg
    Rear-Projection TV 006-001.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Rear-Projection TV 005-001.jpg
    Rear-Projection TV 005-001.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • Rear-Projection TV 011-001.jpg
    Rear-Projection TV 011-001.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 463
  • Rear-Projection TV 012-001.jpg
    Rear-Projection TV 012-001.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
You know those heat guns that are used to strip paint? If you suspend your circuit board horizontally between two posts and blow hot air from such a gun onto the backside of the circuit board then after a minute or so (depending on how close you hold the gun) most of the heavier surface mount parts will just fall off. Some plastic bits on the side you are blowing on will melt, so if you want those, take them off first.

Oh, and do this all outside or the gases will stunt your growth.

It depends on what you want to build.

The flyback transformer and voltage doubler (these are likely to be integrated in to one module) can obviously produce voltages of up to 32kV which can be useful for making a Tesla coil or just having fun making huge sparks.

There will also be many useful components like high voltage capacitors, transistors and resistors.

It'll probably have some ferrite cored transformers and inductors which are useful for building your own switching power supplies; ferrite beads can be used to make a simple circuit called the Joule thief which can power a white LED from a single 1.5V cell for many hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back