Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safety Tips when using Hot Air Rework Station??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphaai

Hello,

I'm a newbie and just bought a Aoyue 968 rework station and not used yet as I dont want to burn my desk that it sits on. What can I put underneath my pcb that I reworking to avoid burning my wooden desk.

Ive currently got a bantex plastic see through desk mat for my notes so I guess that would have to be moved. Thanks, Look forward to your responses.

Ben

El-cheapo solution would be some heavy-duty aluminum foil. If you don't mind the weight, a piece of 1/4" cement board would work ok. A piece of 1/8" sheet steel would work good.

My sister works in the flooring tile industry and gives me large ceramic tiles that are seconds. Great stuff and can be easily had for cheap at any home improvement store. Even a 12" X 12" makes a good work surface.

Ron

I suggest something that insulates, as the metal will tend to absorb a lot of heat from the work, cooling the work and staying hot for ages afterwards.

A wood surface will be marked by a hot air gun, not to any depth. I just use an old magazine under the work, but a sheet of plywood would be good and would last for years.

Rothenberger Plumber's Soldering Mat | Screwfix.com would be very good.

I would think a large enough sheet of metal would simply dissipate the heat; its not like the OP is using a cutting torch or welder on the surface - its a hot air station. The immediate area of work would get warm (possibly hot, but not likely hot enough to injure), but the rest (if it were large enough to cover the work area) should stay fairly cool. A piece of plywood would definitely be cheaper and easier to move around, though.

Heh - just noticed that "soldering mat" you linked to - didn't know such a thing existed; that's probably the best idea! I wonder if its anything like a welding blanket...

Last edited:
My sister works in the flooring tile industry and gives me large ceramic tiles that are seconds. Great stuff and can be easily had for cheap at any home improvement store. Even a 12" X 12" makes a good work surface.

Ron

I used to have a nice piece of granite tile that I kept around thinking I would learn to do some amateur glass blowing, but I never got around to it. I got tired of moving the thing (it was small, but it still weighed a lot) and finding a spot for it out of the way. It disappeared one day...

:)

You could always go to the cookery aisle in your supermarket and get something like a grill pan mesh insert...like this:
Smeg Grill Insert/Wire Grid for DO4SS
Obviousy, that one is far too expensive, but you should be able to find a cheap one at one of the budget stores.

The 4 little bumps in the sides of the mesh will raise the mesh up and offer protection to your desk.

You could also put some foil on top as an added measure....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back