Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S-Video/RCA output to VGA monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlady

I am trying to build converter from Video camera (S-Video or/and video out RCA) directly to computer monitor. Computer monitor has only VGA input. Does anyone know of a circuit on how to be able to do this? Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Vlad

Vlady said:
I am trying to build converter from Video camera (S-Video or/and video out RCA) directly to computer monitor. Computer monitor has only VGA input. Does anyone know of a circuit on how to be able to do this? Any advice will be helpful.

I suggest you buy one! - you're not talking about a trivial item, you've got to not only decode the composite signal to produce RGB, you've also got to digitise the signals, store them in memory, change the number of frames per second and lines per frame, and play them back out. All this has to be done in real time - commercially available ones will use custom chips to do it, you won't have that option!.

VGA interfacing is pretty easy and they make chips that will decode a composite signal but the true difficulty lies in the conversion process and deinterlacing. A dsPIC is fast enough to display static images or very simple hardware based sprites in 640x480 resolution at 60Hz but even at 40MIPS, you simply do not have the computational power to sample the input, store it in a frame buffer, deinterlace it, and then display it in real time.

The only efficient way of doing it without resorting to an ASIC is to use an FPGA. They can easily interface with high speed parallel interface ADCs and DACs and their structure allows for highly parallel designs which is critical in large data throughput applications like this.

I actually found a schemetic on how to buil on. Here is the attachment.

Attachments

• s-video_to_vga_circuit_diagram.gif
    s-video_to_vga_circuit_diagram.gif
    79.2 KB · Views: 16,171
Vlady said:

As you can see, it's pretty complicated, are you able to source all the components OK? - if so, what cost are you talking about? - compare that with buying a ready built one!.

This is also a fairly primative one, it looks to be simply doubling the line speed?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Vlady said:

As you can see, it's pretty complicated, are you able to source all the components OK? - if so, what cost are you talking about? - compare that with buying a ready built one!.

This is also a fairly primative one, it looks to be simply doubling the line speed?.

This is not about buying one. This is all about building one yourself, a chalange.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Vlady said:
This is not about buying one. This is all about building one yourself, a chalange.

So you're quite happy spending more, for an inferior result?.

I guess you can say that :wink: :). If you look at it it is not that difficult or expensive to built. Yes it will be time consuming and most difficult part that I can see is to troupleshoot it

Hmm, a delayline, 1nF caps, plenty of other small values. Looks to me like this would be one pig of a PCB to layout and actually have work.

May be cheaper to get a multi-interface video card for your PC and be done with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• simple.gif
    simple.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,850
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back