Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rx / tx lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Hi!

I have a circuit setup at the moment where a PIC16f628A drives a 4x20 LCD via 4databus interface and drives a stepper motor. This is working correctly. However, I was wondering how difficult it would be to separate the LCD onto a different circuit board, and send a wireless signal from the primary board, to the LCD board in order to drive the LCD.

Im kind of new to this, but it would be a really awesome modification so id like to give it a go.

My first question is, how difficult would this be?

Secondly, how would it be done. Would I put the PIC pins that normally go out to the LCD into some kind of TX module? Would I use the Usart instead?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Check my tutorials for every thing you need to know.

But you don't conect to the existing LCD output, you rewrite the code to drive a transmitter, via a software UART, and NOT the hardware USART.

Hi Nigel.

Thank you for the reply, Ill have a read through the tutorials. Can I ask a few more questions that this raises.

1. What is a good transmitter module that will be easy to integrate into my circuit and interface.
2. A software UART is bascialy using a single PIC pin to send a message which can then be transmitted and deciphered the other end? I shouldnt use the PIC UART pin?
3. Is it standard to use RF or IR for transmitting?

Last edited:
Hi Nigel.

Thank you for the reply, Ill have a read through the tutorials. Can I ask a few more questions that this raises.

1. What is a good transmitter module that will be easy to integrate into my circuit and interface.

Whichever ones you can get hold of, if you can get ones with in-built encoder/decoder it makes life easier.

2. A software UART is bascialy using a single PIC pin to send a message which can then be transmitted and deciphered the other end? I shouldnt use the PIC UART pin?

The reason is explained in the tutorial.

3. Is it standard to use RF or IR for transmitting?

Either, depending if you have line of sight or not, and the distance required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back