Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Running a pump at less power....

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Hey, I am trying to convert my fog machine to a "fazer". The machine ATM uses a 240V piston type pump to get the juice from the container to the heater block. I know how real hazers work, and I know it wont be the same thing, but fazers are quite affective too. What i'm wondering, is if there is a way I can adjust how much juice gets to the heater. I cant use a valve, since its a pressure pump. I was thinking there had to be a way I could maybe slow the pump down abit. I dont think PWM would work, since you need 240V for the pump, and it runs on the 50hz frequency causing it to actually pump. I'm not sure voltage regulation would do it either, since its the frequency that determins how much/fast it pumps.

Any idea's?

Can you use a mechanical solution rather than an electronic on?
Why not have a bypass valve which connects the output of the pump back to the input or back to the supply tank.

When the bypass valve is closed, the pump is delivering full output.
When the bypass valve is open, the pump delivers a much reduced output.

JimB

I need to be able to remotely control it. Apparently you can vary the voltage, but they "Chatter". Anyone know what that is?

the best way is to control the pump with a vsd (variable speed drive)

even when it is a pressure pump you still can use a valve to restrict the flow

the solution that jim b sugested can be done but not very elegant (better is to divert the pipe directly to the storage supply if it is a open system (non pressurized loop system))

you will not save any energy on the pump with the last 2 solutions

Robert-Jan

remote control required leaves you only the vsd option

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back