Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Running a laptop minus battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
I have an old Sony Vaio laptop (PCG K215B) whose battery no longer retains charge for more than a few minutes. Question: is it safe to run the laptop without the battery installed? Or is the battery used in some way by feedback circuitry (rather like a super-capacitor) to control the supply voltage from the mains-powered brick? I don't want to risk over-volting the laptop, nor do I wish to lose any user settings if the battery is relied on for data retention.

Thats a good question. I have always just left the old battery in. I never even thought about trying it without it. I think without it the laptop will keep nagging at you.

My Dell runs just fine sans battery. It does tell me there is no battery but it runs fine. This nay vary from laptop to laptop though.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back