Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rule of Thumb For Zener Volatage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb for choosing a zener given a specific rail voltage. For example I have been using 6.8V tranzorbs in a 5V system. I'm about to design a board to use a 3.3V rail. It wont be consuming much power. Is there a rule of thumb for choosing the breakdown voltage?

-mike

I would choose one slightly above the nominal voltage such as 3.6V or 3.9V for a 3.3V rail.

Why are you putting zeners on your power rail?

Ok thanks. That's what I've done in the past but just wasn't sure if there was a more theoretical way of doing it.

This is an old design which I'm mod'ing to use a much cheaper micro but this micro needs 3.3V not 5V. The original designer had a 6.2V zener across the output of the regulator. The only thing I could of for a reason to put the zener there is for extra regulation of the voltage. But I think I know what you're getting at. For the most part that part is useless.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back