Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rubber coated PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra1

Hi guys

I have seen PCB's that are coated in some sort of rubber, they look like they are dipped and allowed to set.

does anyone have any idea what this rubber is called???

not sure but I know that lots of PCB's have hot glue smeared all over them to stop wires coming off and give it some sort of weather protection.

If you want to make a circuit weather proof look at potting and potting boxes.

hi electrokid

the pcbs i have seen have a fairly soft black rubber on coated over them, it is easily cut with a stanley knife but its tough when trying to be pulled apart. this stuff would come in usefull with a project im working on

Sounds like some sort of silicone rubber.

When I was working in a Mil-spec factory, they called it, "conformal coating", but theirs was mostly clear and fairly hard to the touch. Anyway, great stuff. I use Krylon clear to keep humidity out of my circuit boards.

Hi guys

I have seen PCB's that are coated in some sort of rubber, they look like they are dipped and allowed to set.

does anyone have any idea what this rubber is called???

I know that Porsche dip their electronic boards in a rubbery mixture that sets...well rubbery. Mainly to stop aftermarket repairs. But it also simply gives them control over their product.

And helps a lot with inherent car vibration in the motor area too.

I tried fixing a Porsche fuel injector module for a customer once......Double sided and covered with the rubbery goo....Impossible to work on.

Thinking about it now though...hats off to Porsche. They don't want people screwing up their safety record due to people messing with their PCB's.....

I know that Porsche dip their electronic boards in a rubbery mixture that sets...well rubbery. Mainly to stop aftermarket repairs. But it also simply gives them control over their product.

And helps a lot with inherent car vibration in the motor area too.

I tried fixing a Porsche fuel injector module for a customer once......Double sided and covered with the rubbery goo....Impossible to work on.

Thinking about it now though...hats off to Porsche. They don't want people screwing up their safety record due to people messing with their PCB's.....

thats the exact reason i want it for lol

I don't think you are talking about conformal coating right since that is applied in a thing layer for chemical and electrical protection rather than mechanical protection. Are you just talking about liquid electrical tape or plastic-dip? That stuff definately dries thick and rubbery:
**broken link removed**
https://www.plastidip.com/

Or maybe it realy is just one of the cheaper, flexible conformal coatings used by the truckload.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/06/appguide0404.pdf

Last edited:
Back in the 80's, a company I worked for used epoxy to pot boards. You can not repair the board and the heat from the chemicals could shorten the life if the components, but it worked. Not to mention the chip would run warmer.

The conformal we use for small stuff is a spray but will not stop repairs, just stop corrosion. The plastic dip idea sounds like it's worth a try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back