Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS485 transceiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd123

I am working on a project which requires me to work with a RS-485 transceiver and J1708 protocol(for heavy duty vehicles). We found two RS 485 ICs specifically designed for J1708-DS36277 and MAX3444E.The former costs about Rs 118 and the latter costs Rs 630. The one extra feature in the Max IC is +/- 60V fault protection. Can anyone tell me what is fault protection and is it worth spending so much on an IC which has this feature?

It's also Completely common for the serial port (usually tx) to get burned when the level shifter goes. I prefer much more robust TVS/MOV devices or zener & schottky diodes, depending on situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back