Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232(Serial from PC) to 8 bit data(Parallel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I just have a real quick question! I was wondering how i can convert the serial data that comes out of my PC to 8 bit parallel data? Do i just use an UART? If so, which one do you guys recommend? Which is the easiest to use and interface?

Thanks!

I was wondering how i can convert the serial data that comes out of my PC to 8 bit parallel data? Do i just use an UART?
Will it be in a stand-alone device, or in something that can program it? I like the 6850 ACIA (for serial <->parallel conversion) + MAX232 (for TTL to RS232 level conversion), but you program it in software. If you want something like an inline adaptor cable with no processing capability, you want something you can "program" in hardware, such as the 6402 UART where you program the word length, parity, etc. by tying pins high or low.
Note that people keep telling me the 6850 and 6402 are not being made any more, but I have no trouble getting hold of them.

Hey guys! I just have a real quick question! I was wondering how i can convert the serial data that comes out of my PC to 8 bit parallel data? Do i just use an UART? If so, which one do you guys recommend? Which is the easiest to use and interface?

Thanks!

You can do it with a hardware UART, like the 6402 - but it's big, requires various support chips, and is a clumsy solution.

Far easier to do it with a simple PIC and a little simple programming, something like the 16F628 will easily do it in one 18 pin chip, and very few other components at all. Or you could use a smaller PIC, but the 18 pin ones aren't very big, and the 628 includes a hardware UART, although you can use a software one instead anyway.

As the 6402 is hardware programmed - ie, you set the word length, parity, handshaking, etc., by tying pins high or low - it's ideal for a passive situation where there's no processing capability. Together with a 4060 baud rate generator and a MAX232 level convertor that's all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back