Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 Port Splitter with selector

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamproject

Hi,

I am trying to make a serial port spliiter where I can connect two devices to the serial port and use a slide switch to select the device to be connected. I tried this by using a two way switch to connect the ground wire to either of the serial port's (5 th PIN) depending on the position of the switch. But, my plan backfired and lost a PIC micro that was connected on one the two serial ports. Am I on the right track ??? . I would also like an Indicator LED to be powered from the DSR or CTS pin to indicate the serial port in use . Will this damage devices connected on the port. Thanks in advance.

dreamproject said:
Hi,

I am trying to make a serial port spliiter where I can connect two devices to the serial port and use a slide switch to select the device to be connected. I tried this by using a two way switch to connect the ground wire to either of the serial port's (5 th PIN) depending on the position of the switch. But, my plan backfired and lost a PIC micro that was connected on one the two serial ports. Am I on the right track ??? . I would also like an Indicator LED to be powered from the DSR or CTS pin to indicate the serial port in use . Will this damage devices connected on the port. Thanks in advance.

Simple enough, but you need a multi-pole switch, and switch ALL the used wires EXCEPT the ground wire - leaving the ground un-switched will make sure everything is at the same ground potential.

he was so close but the dark side was stronger :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back