Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 Buffer and flow control

Status
Not open for further replies.

GethinTE

I have a problem!

I've built a simple RS232 circuit that sniffs the serial data going from a POS terminal to a serial receipt printer.

However, the device i'm attaching to the sniffer is located far away from the POS and printer itself. To avoid running cables, i've tracked down the data TIC devices from Datahunter.com which allows wireless 900MHz transmission parasitically from the RS232 port. Neat.

However, the POS does not use flow control of any sort to send data to the POS printer, therefore the TIC on the recieving end ends up with dropped data.

Is there a chip or simple circuit I can build that will introduce hardware flow control and a small data buffer between the sniffer box and the transmitting TIC, so theat the recieving TIC get's all it's data?

Thanks for any input or help.

Gethin.

I do not understand that whether data is being dropped by the TIC devices or by the device u want to connect with the Sniffer. In either case if the speed of acquisition is less than speed of data being sent by the POS terminal, it will finally have a data loss even if u add a FIFo or a buffer.

The data is being dropped by the TIC devices. If I connect a PC to the sniffer port all data is clear and present. However the TIC's require flow control to ensure that the data gets to the other side. So the TIC on the recieving side gets data loss.

I'm not talking lots of data here, just what you can see typically on a sales reciept, but still the TIC manages to loose it in transmission.

If I could buffer it a little more i'm sure the TIC's could handle he transmission, as in their specs they can push much more tha 9600 baud which the POS operates at.

I don't know about the kind of flow rate ur TIC devices require but maybe u can check out these FIFO devices from IDT. DO they fulfill the purpose? If not what kind of flow control do the TIC devices need?

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back