Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS-232 electronic component interfacing with microprocessor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptewright

I have an electronic component that communicates via a RS-232 serial connection. I would like to use a microprocessor to interface with that component, rather than the serial port of a PC. Can anyone tell me how I would do that? I don't believe that microprocessors recognize serial inputs.....right?

Most microcontrollers (microconttrollers are microprocessors with built in memory and peripherals) have a UART that will communicate with a standard serial device if you use a simple level shilter(to get the right voltages) like the MAX232. Your best bet is to buy a cheap development kit with a microcontroller and MAX232 already on board. Then you just buy a RS232 crossover cable (it just switches the receive and transmit lines)to talk to your device. Zilog's Z8encore dev kit is $39 and I've heard its quite good. Atmel's AVR kit is fairly good too. I'm sure there are a million PIC boards out there.

Brent

Re: RS-232 electronic component interfacing with microproces

ptewright said:
I have an electronic component that communicates via a RS-232 serial connection. I would like to use a microprocessor to interface with that component, rather than the serial port of a PC. Can anyone tell me how I would do that? I don't believe that microprocessors recognize serial inputs.....right?

Microprocessors, or micro-controllers, easily do RS232 (after all, that's exactly what your PC is!).

My PIC tutorials show how to do it using a PIC, with either software or hardware UART's - it's very simple!.

bmcculla said:
Most microcontrollers (microconttrollers are microprocessors with built in memory and peripherals) have a UART that will communicate with a standard serial device if you use a simple level shilter(to get the right voltages) like the MAX232. Your best bet is to buy a cheap development kit with a microcontroller and MAX232 already on board. Then you just buy a RS232 crossover cable (it just switches the receive and transmit lines)to talk to your device. Zilog's Z8encore dev kit is $39 and I've heard its quite good. Atmel's AVR kit is fairly good too. I'm sure there are a million PIC boards out there.

Brent

Microcontrollers usually have a RxD and TxD for serial input/output. Is this the UART you are referring to? I am already using these ports. If instead of connecting the MAX232 outputs to this UART, I connect them to a normal port (eg. P1 or P2), will it still work?

It's posible to do RS232 in software, but why don't you use hardware RS232?

Yes, take a look to tiny bootloader to get the hardware or take it from Nigel's tutorial. It's all what you should do.

come to www.lvr.com to get information about RS232 communication. They support all software and hardware for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back