Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RPM, Speedometer and speed switch with single microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techen

Hi I am new to any electronics forum :eek:

My friend is creating a Motorcycle by himself. And he is very good at it. He asked me to make RPM, Speedometer and speed switch for his bike. But I am not very good at electronics. I only have some hobby circuit making experience when I was in school, never designed any circuit for myself.

But I am seriously interested to make this and ready go through any learning to do this project.

From the internet I learned that it can be made using LM1917 and L7017. But I want to do it with an MCU so that it will be better for the bike and for me as I want to learn more electronics as I go through this project :)

But I am not sure which MC is suitable. Is there any way I can run all three tasks with one MC?

Please help

Last edited:
If you search this forum there's alot on each of the items you mentioned, Some of them were for bikes, and yes, you could run all 3 from a micro-controler :eek:

I thought of using 8051 first. But I think its a slow processor for this task.
**broken link removed** uses AT89C2051, a derivative of 8051.
All I/O pins are used in this. What if we modify this? Ideas?

If you search this forum there's alot on each of the items you mentioned, Some of them were for bikes, and yes, you could run all 3 from a micro-controler :eek:

Thanks bro.. Could you tell me how to integrate these three in to **broken link removed** one. Or any other IC?

Hey, i didn't mean that you teach me step by step. You could do suggestion on choosing MC etc.. It will be a great help.

I've only used Pic's for about 3 years, I'm still learning C, I used to use assembler. So I'm not efficient enough to give much :( Someone more knowledgeable may
Chime-in as to your questions and give you the quality help.

I've built from both the Z8 and 68hc908 uCtrlrs. I run a 908 version as replacement for the BMW K75 complex. Tach is a matter of a separate counter read/reset at regular intervals. Velocity can be the same, but can also be the timing between wheel pulses reversed by wheel dimensions into distance by time. Pressure & temperature are just ADC inputs whose value is "bounced" off a calibration table.

The one 68hc908gp32 unit tracks velocity, tach, oil pressure & temp, water temp & battery voltage. Been running it since ~2003 (1st version Z8 in 1999, ported to 908 ~'03)

It's a tall project for a beginner, but take it a function at a time and you'll get it. Good Hunting... <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back