Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RPM/Speed Sensor Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotsman

Hi there

I hope im not too thick in my post, But I really need some of you guys tech help.

I have an analog set of speedometer and tachometer gauges from a motorcycle a 2000 model kawaski ZX6R Ninja
that receive their signals electronically.

now I want to install these in a kit car to give me a nice set of gauges to read.

I know the wiring outputs of these gauges,I have a full set of wiring diagrams which shows that the speedo receives a speed sensor pulse from its own magnetic sensor "I have this sensor" a wire also leads to the motorcycles igniter box (I have yet to assertain what the signal to the speedo side from the igniter acutally is, I have a feeling thats it is only a (+) voltage from the igniter)

The tachometer side of things receives its own pulse from the motorcycles igniter box.

My first question is if I mount the speedometers magnetic sensor on an appropriate output gear how would I adjust the signal coming from this sensor to display the correct Speed/Distance?

My second question is could I now connect the tachometer input pulse directly to the output from the cars "single" coil and if so how could I also calibrate this signal to get the correct RPM reading ?

If I cannot connect the output directly from coil to the tachometer pulse, could I add another speed sensor similar to the one the speedometer is already using, to calculate the RPM and calibrate it to suit.

Any help would be most greatfully received guys

And please remember although not totaly stupid laymans terms would be best to understand all round.

Thanks in advance

Mark :oops:

The easiest solution is to make a new dial scale. If your kit car engine is 4 cylinder and the motorcycle was 2 cylinder, the tach will read 1/2 and that will be easy to re-scale. The speedo reading will depend on the gear ratio and size of tire (tyre), but if you can find one of those speed sensors that display the speed, you can calibrate the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back